Best Manual for VolvoPenta OUTDRIVE (not engine) maint & repair

yooper49868

Recruit
Best Manual for VolvoPenta OUTDRIVE (not engine) maint & repair ??
...Hello to the more experienced sailors out there…
...I am a new owner of a 1993 GlassTron with a Volvo Penta 4.3 L GM block.
Engine 430B / P5 4100 141230 868527
Outdrive is labeled SP-CD Trim. Some of the transom parts are stamped with a 1992 date.

During winterizing, I drained lube oil from bottom of the outdrive and saw that it was milky with water. Second time this has happened.
… I have been told that I need to replace prop shaft seals. Also the bellows need work.
… So Here Is the Question: What is the best manual I can get for service work on the OUTDRIVE. I looked at Seloc Manual #3606, but that seems to have more info on the engine and not much on the outdrive.
… Any tips? Would be very grateful for your help.

Yooper Yacht Club

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
factory manual

seloc is only good if you need a knee pad. haynes is good if you need toilet paper,

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
7731624 is the Volvo part number of the manual for your drive.
This manual covers many drives ---280, 280-DP, 285, 290, 290-DP
SP-A, SP-C, DP-A, DP-B, DP-C ----
And was written with the idea that the person using it is a Volvo factory trained technician and has access to the factory tools.
I don't know your skill level, but you might want to also read the seloc and haynes in addition.
Your drive is one of the easiest drives to work on ---- IF ---- you have the factory tools and training. If you don't, they can be pretty tough.
Your best bet is to get the manual, read it and decide if this is something you want to attempt.