Can I adjust shifter cable off throttle body ?

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
push throttle speed is fine. upon return it slows up but still way too fast & unsafe
​Just had engine work and shop repair person mentioned cable shift cable way too long for my boat ., Saying too guy I don't know previous owner changed
​After months of waiting for boat I was anxious and said too repair guy I will change or adjust cable
I did some minor adjustments , changed direction of cable , removed cable from bracket that holds the barrel . Added greased re- connected
I move throttle by hand and it slows fine, but once I hit throttle it does not return too idle.
​Added a spring and it works fine bit stiff, NOT CORRECT
​Can I adjust barrel ? Shorten by turning barrel JUST CHANGE CABLE ? .

​thanks as usual

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
NO. you have to have your eyeballs on the shift mechanism on the drive

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like your saying your having a throttle cable return problem to idle. Is throttle cable stiff? If not you can try lengthening adjustment so it pushes throttle closed more to idle. You don't want a return spring on a boat, it will make it harder to throttle

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Your shift cable has nothing to do with your throttle cable and how it brings the carb back to closed.

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry not making myself clear
​I am calling it shift cable , from shift throttle too carb . Fuel injected ,
​I tinkered with cable a bit. , Not sure if the Volvo Penta set up lets you adjust barrel. Did not want too make it worse. I just put DW 20 and connected back. Does not return fully
flap not in fully closed position. Moving it manually ally and it slows perfect. .
​I put a spring and it works, but as Fishhead said will make it stiff and it does.
​Cable moves freely , and was working fine .
​Is there something else I should be looking for other then cable ? . I greased up carb assembly shaft
thanks

kenny nunez

Captain
Most control boxes have a decent spring for positive throttle closure. With the cable disconnected and the control box in the idle/neutral position lenthen the cable by turning the trunion 1-2 turns past the hole in the throttle lever, advance the throttle handle and re connect the trunion into the throttle lever. This should give positive throttle closing. This is if your throttle pushes to close, if it pulls to close then do the opposite by shorting the cable with the trunion.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If its like most cables you have a plastic end with a nut behind it, loosen the nut, unscrew plastic end to lengthen the cable

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
s-l1600.jpg

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the input
​Boat at marina, will be returning next few days and hopefully I correct

Bondo

Staff member
Sorry not making myself clear
​I am calling it shift cable , from shift throttle too carb .

Ayuh,.... It would help if ya call the Throttle cable, the Throttle cable, as it ain't the shift cable, which is the other cable from the controller,....