Do Volvo Penta 270 have a gimble bearing

Scooter09

Recruit
I have a 1988 Volvo Penta 270 outdrive not the sx model. I have a loud annoying vibration when turning right then it all mellows out and becomes smooth again when I straighten the wheel or turn left. I've read quite a few posts about my problem on here and most are leading to either bad gimble bearing or u joints or both. I recently today was reading a thread and it said the 270 does NOT have a gimble bearing and it is not necessary to remove the whole outdrive if you just want to replace the u joints you will only have to remove the top plate exposing the gearbox. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's not a "gimble bearing" it has a PDS(positive drive shaft) in a housing on the inside of the transom, which has either 1 or 2 bearings in the housing. Hopefully those bearings are OK. Basically the U joint shaft/yokes slide onto the end of the PDS. You remove the upper gear box and the U joint shaft/yokes are connected to it and slide out with the upper gear box. You need to find and download a Volvo Penta Factory Service Manual B4 you dive into any of your repairs.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its a Primary Drive Shaft.

No gimble

however if you havent been pulling the drive and inspecting the u-joints and greasing the PDS, shame on you

look at the DIY stickies at the top of the forum for Volvo specific tricks. you remove the whole upper gear box - not the top plate.

however if you havent had the drive off for a while, time to do that

kenny nunez

Captain
If you have a 4 cylinder engine there is only 1 bearing that is in front a seal, there is a snap ring for the seal to seat against then another snap ring, after that the shaft and bearing can be pulled out. Sometimes the shaft has a internal thread where a slide hammer can be used to pull it out. If you have a V8 the engine has to come out because there are 2 bearings and the front one comes out from the front. Either way the bearings are common and can be purchased at any bearing supply house. Keep your finger crossed that the shaft is not rusted to the flex plate on either application.

Last edited: