Volve Penta 3.0 overheating and losing power

Burcham164

Recruit
I took my 1996 Caravelle with volvo penta 3.0 out yesterday and after I got on plane I noticed I was losing power so I shut it down. I could see smoke coming from the engine compartment. I noticed the exhaust riser bessel had melted due to the overheating? After it cooled off it cranked right back up and ran fine without overheating at idle. ( I did this after I got it home and hooked the muffs to it) What could be the problem? Impeller? I checked the oil and It does not have water in it.

tlewis1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It probably ran fine on the hose as you are using the pressure to supply water to the pump but when in the water the pump does not have enough vacuum to supply cooling water to the engine.

I'd be pulling that water pump apart and have a look at your impeller...it is probably in pieces. Next step after that is to a compression test to make sure you didn't warp the head when it overheated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
start with replacing the impeller

its a replace every 2-3 year thing

youre going to need to replace the exhaust hose too.

Burcham164

Recruit
Thanks for the quick response guys! The fist thing that came to my mind when it happened was the impeller! Hard to believe those little things can cause so much trouble!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a $1 o-ring took out the space shuttle