More Stripped Bearing Cover

randym1957

Cadet
VP DP-S outdrive - Likely through over tightening, that the threads in my dipstick port are coming out with the dipstick. Was thinking to replace the bearing cap, until I found out they are very expensive and then there is the issue of getting the shims right for proper lash. Now looking at a heli-coil solution. Sadly, my boat is in storage 250 miles away, or I would just take my dipstick to the hardware store and figure out the size and thread pitch. Was hoping someone here could help me out with that info? Would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

I believe that they are 3/8-16 threads, however not positive. I know thats the size on the 290 and the DP-A, B, C, etc. Maybe bruceb58 would know

you are going to need to pull the cap to helicoil so you dont get shavings in the drive. so your going to need a seal kit as well.

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recall 1/2-13 on my DP-S1

Edit. Confirmed see below

Attachments

• SternDrive_DPS.jpg
    SternDrive_DPS.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander
Heli-coil for sure. Did the same thing to mine(DPS-A) Had it done though. Been 3-4 years and no leaking.
Before you do it order a new gasket for the cap. About $6.00 from iboats.
shims and gear lash would have nothing to do with this repair no matter how you go.
Take the four bolts off and have someone put the heli-coil in. New gasket and your all good to go

Last edited:

randym1957

Cadet
Thanks HalfFish5087 - 1/2 - 13 seems much closer to the mark, from my memory. I cannot hardly believe people actually put a lifting eye in that aluminum cast hole and lift 500 lbs though. Also, thanks to Thalasso - definitely getting a new gasket! Got it on order already! I will post later with my results!!

randym1957

Cadet
All - thanks for all the great advice... helicoil installed and looks great. Got new gaskets and O-rings all around as well. Will re-assemble everything next weekend and give it a pressure/vacuum test, but see no reason to be concerned

randym1957

Cadet
I have been studying the service manual and this seems odd to me... a particular sealant, Volvo Penta Gasket Sealing Compound P/N 1161099, is indicated to be used on each of the cap bolts, and each of the O-rings on the dipstick, and lube filling plugs... as well as a bunch of other parts that do not concern me at the moment. The attached PDF is from the service manual w/ points of interest hi-lighted.

Listed as a 'gasket sealing compound' of what use is it on O-rings and not through threaded bolts? Can anyone shed any light on what this is doing in this assembly? I could see the O-rings being lubed with gear oil or silicone paste, I would not want to install them dry, and the bolts perhaps coated with some anti-seize. Any discussion would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1161099.pdf
    83.6 KB · Views: 4

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The OEM manuals have been known to have small errors in some places. Whether that's the case or not, I think your assumption is correct. Gear oil on the O-rings and anti-seize or thread-lock on the cap bolts and you'll be all set.

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A new top cover would require reshimming. Reusing your old cover wont. YES, the top cover is shimmed. When you remove your cover make sure not to lose the shims.