Volvo Penta 3.0 Exhaust Bellow Leak?

jocko755

Cadet
So I replaced my busted exhaust manifold. Fired the boat up on ears hooked up to a garden hose. Success! but the exhaust water is not coming out the prop, but it coming out near the gimble. Is this normal? I'm used to running outboards. i felt and looked all over the rubber exhaust tube in the lower unit and did not feel any holes or problems.

Hate to have to pull the lower unit to fix yet another problem.

Is this a problem or normal? We want to go out mothers day! Thanks.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What drive? I'm not sure about the older VP drives, but the SX-A drives have an exhaust relief port at the bottom of the drive near the gimbal housing that water and exhaust come out of when run on muffs/flush port. I imagine the SX-M is similar.

Make sure when you're running your boat on a hose that the drive is tilted down to the normal range... do not run it with the drive tilted up.

jocko755

Cadet
Yeah it was trimmed up and I put it down, It was only idle speed - still nothing out the prop. I guess I will take it to the lake and see if it sinks. I will have to check what drive it is. Perhaps it's normal.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
An exhaust bellow leak, assuming there is one, cannot cause a boat to sink. Its generally inconsequential except for noise.

Bigskyboat

Seaman
Funny I came across this post. I was just checking out my boat and found a hole in my exhaust hose connecting to my lower unit. I also have a Volvo penta 3.0. It's a 1997 we just had the boat out last week all day, I pulled the plug and I suppose about a half gallon of water came out after the day. I'm not sure if that is from the whole in the exahuast tube or if it's from something else. I was going to ask this question and never did. The hole in my exhaust tube is about two fingers big. I don't know if it will harm anything to run it like that or not. The one side has a hose clamp on it, I'm not sure how to get the other side out, there is no hose clamp, it looks like it's internally connected or maybe screwed in...I have no idea.