Gimbal install tool

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Is the Mercruiser gimball bearing install tool the same for a volvo penta DPS ? I have the alignment bar, but I have always used a solid piece of round oak to set the gimbal bearings on the Volvo out drives. I thought getting one that attached to the alignment bar might be more scientific. Thanks Dave-R

Thalasso

Commander
Both the same.
You will need to drill a 3/8th's hole at some point in the alignment tool to attach the gimball bearing install disc. The directions will tell you how and where to drill it.
Suggestion though. Find a machine shop and have them drill it where you want it. The metal (alignment bar) is pretty hard. had mine drilled $20.00.
Put some grease on the bearing cage before hammering in and do it gently to make sure it goes in straight

Just went out and measured mine from the end that goes in first. 7- 5/16 th's to the center of the hole.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gimbal-Bear...-Bravo-Alpha-shaft-not-included-/280947182293
[FONT=&quot](YOUR ALIGNMENT TOOL and YOUR ENGINE COUPLER IS USED TO HELP THIS DRIVE THE BEARING STRAIGHT IN COMPARED TO some OTHERS SOLD ON EBAY.[/FONT]
DPS-A (same as the SX-A)
The friggan grease seal is a bear to get out

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... A time or 2 ago when I was swappin' a gimbal bearin', I built my set up,...

Had the alignment bar,...
I found a length of aluminum tube/ pipe I found in a dumpster which fit the outer race, darn near Perfect,...
It's what's inside a 4x4 vinyl porch post, for support,...
I then found I had an aluminum disc of 'bout the right diameter, from holesawin' 1/2" aluminum plate, from another old project,...
I also had an 1/8" disc, with a larger center hole in my pile of goodies,...
The hole is a loose fit over the alignment bar,...
I welded the thin plate 'bout 5" inside the end of the tube,... then the 1/2" plate to the other end,...
Came out pretty good, 'n works Great,...
100_5348.jpg

100_5349.jpg

100_5350.jpg

Thalasso

Commander
Ayuh,.... A time or 2 ago when I was swappin' a gimbal bearin', I built my set up,...

Had the alignment bar,...
I found a length of aluminum tube/ pipe I found in a dumpster which fit the outer race, darn near Perfect,...
It's what's inside a 4x4 vinyl porch post, for support,...
I then found I had an aluminum disc of 'bout the right diameter, from holesawin' 1/2" aluminum plate, from another old project,...
I also had an 1/8" disc, with a larger center hole in my pile of goodies,...
The hole is a loose fit over the alignment bar,...
I welded the thin plate 'bout 5" inside the end of the tube,... then the 1/2" plate to the other end,...
Came out pretty good, 'n works Great,...
100_5348.jpg

100_5349.jpg

100_5350.jpg

$19.99 free shipping on E-bay

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Bondo you are a rocket scientist, and a engineer . If only I could weld. Thanks Dave-R