debugging a no start scenario

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That's an electric choke solenoid for the carb. Not for the starter

89retta

The clicking is normal as its closing the choke. As for your no start problem have you checked the 50 amp breaker ? It sounds like your not even getting power to your starter.

rordog206

Cadet
ok, so per the instructions on http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...hooting-your-engines-starting-system?t=167035 . . .

"Hook up your test light clip to a good ground and touch the tip to terminal A, if it lights" . i put my multimeter on A, and i get a full 12 volts. that means the starter is getting power.

" touch it to terminal B and have your helper hit the starter switch again" . this part i have a video linked. i do get voltage, 31.8

does this now mean that i must pull the starter?

89retta

On cars I used to tap the starter with a hammer while someone turned the key. This will free up a stuck solenoid or starter. Does the starter click or anything when you turn the key ?

rordog206

Cadet
No Title

i tried some tapping, no luck.

here's another thing i'm confused about. the attached picture of the starter solenoid shows a black threaded prong with nothing attached to it. shouldn't there be something connected to the ignition?

Attachments

• photo262251.jpg
    photo262251.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
" touch it to terminal B and have your helper hit the starter switch again" . this part i have a video linked. i do get voltage, 31.8

Looking at your meter, it appeared you were getting 3.18 volts instead of 31, figuring decimal point off. So with that, either the relay is not energizing, of it is energizing and not making contact.

If its not energizing, check to see if voltage is at C.

So far I don't see at as being the starter. Easy way is jump a wire from the positive battery post to terminal B on the starter. This will make the starter spin, if it does, its not the starter.

rordog206

Cadet
here is me connecting the B terminal directly to the battery, i get a single distinct click, then nothing, and if i touch the battery a second time, not even a click. not until i wait a bit.

so since starter doesn't spin, do i pull it out?

89retta

Turn your key to on. Then slide that red boot off of the cable going to the starter. Take a screwdriver and short out the solenoid by touching the it to the cable is attached and the small threaded stud in your pic. The starter should spin

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Do you have dual batteries? If they are hooked up in series, you may get as high as 30 volts. 12+12=24. No way a 12 volt battery on it's own has 30 volts. If it is hooked in series, you may have burnt up something.

89retta

Hope this helps
2a7dc589d5df6b77cc87ed1b3c3bd0d1.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... In yer very 1st vid, yer askin' 'bout the electric choke, but look inside that black plastic box, I believe that's where Volvo puts the starter Relay,....
Merc uses solenoids,....
But I believe Volvo does relays in that box, 'n it would sorta sound like it's the choke, but the choke makes no sounds are all,...
The throttle sets the choke, the electric spring just pulls it off,.... quietly,....

Down on the starter,.... Pull that red boot the 'ell outa the way,....
Then you'll see the Big wire from the battery to the Big lug on the solenoid,...
Take it off, 'n Clean it, Shiny metal Clean,.... then put it back on,.... grease it so it don't corrode again,...
There's another tiny terminal on the block side of the solenoid, behind the Big lug,...
That's the exciter terminal,.... the other one with no wire probably ain't needed on yer app.....

Ya got a 12 volt system,.... No way ya can have 31 volts,... Can't happen,.....
That said, yer battery is Dead,.... it should show a few points over 12 volts when full power,...

89retta

The solenoid is part of the starter on a Volvo number 2 in the pic. And from your one video where you hear that click its not working. Short the contacts out with a screwdriver. If it spins when you short it out that means your solenoid is shot. The black thing is your electric choke do not try and open it.
20931.jpg

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a fluke digital meter but all diagnosing is done with a old Simpson 261 analog. Can't beat the old stuff

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
for reals, it's over 30

You have the leads connected to the meter incorrectly.
In the video for "touch terminal B..." you should have the black lead in the center hole marked COM and the red one in the right side hole with the V.

Bondo

Staff member
The solenoid is part of the starter on a Volvo number 2 in the pic.

Ayuh,... That's the starter's solenoid, but there's also a slave solenoid, or in the case of Volvos, a slave Relay,.....

rordog206

Cadet
who can demote my rank from 'cadet' to 'dumbass' ?

with all of your comments, and learning about voltage from the linked page, i realize that my battery only putting off 11.9 volts is a dead battery.

new battery and she's purring like a kitten again.

thanks ALL!! and it was fun learning more about starters.