Virbation on 2004 Volvo Penta 5.7 GXI 320 HP in Reverse & left/right turn

Bshiv117

Recruit
Heavy vibration in reverse on 2004 Four Winns with Dual Volvo Penta 5.7 GXI 320 HP Gas and slight vibration on right or left turns. When in Reverse slight grind sound on port side. No vibration when moving forward or straight. Have tech looking into it , and not running until it is looked at, however looking for any basic ideas on problem beforehand. Thanks

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard

is this a single prop or duo-prop drive

when was the last time you had your oudrive off for annual service to inspect the u-joints and gimble?

note the word annual is emphisized

Bshiv117

Recruit
Duo-prop drive Volvo 5.7 GXI Gas 320's-. Sept 2016-had 4 Volvo Duo prop trim actuators replaced, 4 trim ram oil line, 8-o ring, 1- manifold block, 5 seals, 1-Ujoint assembly, 1 sleeve on 9/15/16
​on 3/9/17 had original problem from 9/15/16 which was leaking Hydraulic oil again, this time repair shop , had 1 trim manifold, 1-o-ring, 2 trim pump oil lies, 4-trim lines, 1 outdrive seal, 1-manifold gasket, was credited for port & starboard trim lines on 2nd replacement. As I write this , it sound like I may have needed 1 more U-joint and see no note on gimbal replacement, which was starboard side and the largest vibration is coming from port side. No looks like Tech just replaced one item at time and had to bring back 2 times. I have learned with Duo-prop you need to everything 2 times ( in process of getting new fuel pump to go with one replaced before it goes)
​Thanks for your help

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
gimbal or u-joints. I'd personally find a new shop IF they pull the drive for service and DO NOT check the UJ, Gimbal and alignment as part of that service?

Just my $.02 worth.