Dual battery switch switched while the engine was running

I just a got a new alternator on ad took the boat out. While in the middle of the Sound, someone flipped the dual battery switch and the boat died. I cannot get anything out of it now. Various searches have told me that this can blow your alternator, but I can't get any spark at all now. Both batteries are fine, and it continues to turn over, but I pulled the spark plug and couldn't get any spark. What do I check now? Thanks to anyone for helping... I am desperate!

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What model engine? Have you checked all connections - coil to dizzy, dizzy to plugs? Are you sure there is no spark?
I've got a dual battery system through a Perko switch - its no issue going back and forth between 1 and 2 while running as long as its set up correctly and not in parallel (if you select both).

Last edited:
My switch is an older one... It says right on it "don't switch while engine is running"! I checked all the connections but not voltages between coil to distributor plugs. I just pulled a plug and saw nothing.

Apologize for my ignorance, but I don't know those details. The boat is a 1977... My guess is the outdrive is too. The engine is brand new (rebuilt).

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm assuming you are grounding out the side of the plug when you are checking for spark? What's the voltage at the coil?

alldodge

Staff member
Take some pics and post here. Being a 1977 I'm going to guess it's a carb motor. Can you use a volt meter?

Yes it is a carb motor. Yes I checked the plug with it grounded to the block. It's at the marina right now and I'm at home. I'll check with a volt meter and take some pics tomorrow

Thanks so much for your help... Is my next step checking the voltage at each point? Also, if the alternator is fried wouldn't I still be able to start... Just not charge?

alldodge

Staff member
What is mpi, tbi?

MPI = Multi Port Injection
TBI = Throttle body injection

Looks like you have closed cooling, old style exhaust and the crab style cap, wonder how that happened.

The flat crab style cap gives all kinds of issues.

fetch

Tomorrow, connect the voltmeter from the positive side of the coil to ground. Turn the key on and let us know what voltage you see. Then try cranking and let us know what voltage you see.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Check the wire harness connector in the engine connector just behind starboard exhaust manifold. Sometimes the connector has corrosion.