SX drive bearing carrier explodes 2x

Daryl Silsley

Recruit
First time user. I have a VP 4.3gld with a SX-M drive. Long story will try and make it short. Hit underwater obstruction 2 summers ago. Tore drive off transom shield(was hanging on by 1 hydralic cyl) Transom shield bent, leaking, replaced with brand new transom shield. Out drive did not appear to be damaged. Installed out drive to new transom, aligned perfectly. Ran on water for 3 hours.
This in when problems started. Out drive locked up/engine with it. Upon disasembly found bearing in bearing carrier on drive side had seized(moved toward the boat. No visible gear damage. Replaced bearing over the winter, bought sims, used paint to allign gears, was pretty close on spacing of gears. Reassembled and put in water in spring(no vibration, no noise). On water 10 hours. Catastrophic failure. The whole bearing carrier cracked an the four mounting bolts. Upon disassembly, gears torn to bits, drive shaft spines twisted on coupler end, drive shaft stuck in coupler. Crap!
Had insurance $ so I purchased a rebuilt unit with one year warranty. Replaced coupler, and noticed that the metal ring on the inside on the Gimbal housing(the part that moves up/down with the 6 studs on it) was separated from the housing and attached to the inside of the bellows. It had cracked off. I was able to reattach it almost perfectly with JB weld.
I reassembled the whole thing, perfect alignment, new coupler, rebuilt drive, new bellows, etc. All went well.
Had it on the water, just after my 10 hr break-in, and with new syn oil. It explodes again! Same type of damage. 4 bolts on bearing carrier cracked, bearings crushed, gears toast. And....that little ring on the Gimbal housing was cracked off again an stuck to the bellows.
So my question is....what is causing this? Does the ring on the inside of the housing provide STRUCTURAL SUPPORT to the bearing carrier? It doesn't look that way as the metal is so thin around it. OR does this ring just provide a seal between the front oi the bearing carrier and the rear of the bellows? Is it causing the problem? Could it have been defective on the new transom shield assembly?
Or is the self destructing bearing carrier,gears, bearing breaking the ring off? And what would cause this bearing carrier to sheer off 4 bolts 2x?
Any help greatly appreciated as this will be my 3rd time!

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

please post pictures.

from what i understand, your discussing the input bearings (and the housing the bellows connect to) correct?

if so, too tight of a setting on the bearing can cause damage.