Overheating Volvo Penta 5.0 GL-D

rrstl3

Cadet
I recently purchased my first boat - a 2004 Chaparral 215 SSi. I purchased the boat on eBay and my good deal turned out not to be so great. Every time we had the boat on the water, it overheated. Ran well, but overheated. Following the advice of numerous past posts on this website I changed the raw water impeller, thermostat, thermostat housing, all hoses after the raw water pump, circulation pump, exhaust manifolds and heat risers, and checked the power steering cooler. After changing all of this, the boat appeared to be running well the first few hours we had it on the water this past weekend so I let my 11 year old son drive a bit. All appeared well, and no alarms sounded (which is unusual because this boat seems to have an ear piercing, soul splittingly loud alarm for everything) but when I looked at the temp gauge it was north of 210 degrees, I'm guessing 212. We immediately shut it down. We limped back to the dock 5 minutes at a time.

In the past when it would start to get hot, we brought it back off of plane and it would very quickly return to about 160. After this, it would continue to rise at below-plane speeds until it hit about 180. We would shut it down for several minutes before continuing to limp her in.

I have two questions... First, what else could be causing the overheating problem? Everything in the cooling circuit has been replaced or checked. I installed clear hoses from the thermostat housing to the exhaust manifold, and water flows through there well. When a garden hose is hooked up to the flushing hose in the engine compartment, water flows freely from the out-drive.

Second, what damage did I cause by overheating it pretty severely? It's terribly hard to start now, and in the past it started very easily.