Elgin/McCulloch 7.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTTOM

Seaman Apprentice
Good afternoon,

I just came into possession of a 7.5 hp motor made by the McCulloch Corporation (according to the data plate). The data plate says the serial number is 64300750 - 2177. It does not contain any discreet information on model number. It has a Elgin rip cord.

If possible, can someone please let me know what I have and the fuel/oil ratio.

Thank You

UTTOM

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Elgin/McCulloch 7.5

Thanks.

I found out last night that tis motor has not been run since 2003. Anything special I should do to it prior to firing it up?

luv2b0at

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just got my '62 Elgin (McCulloch) back on line. Rebuilt the carb and installed a new impeller ($50 for the part). I found out that it doesn't spray much water out when running like newer 2 strokes do. I expected a tell tale stream to come from somewhere, but all it does is spritz a little water out of the above water exhaust.

Pull the plugs and see that it turns easy using your hand. You can test for spark while the plugs are out. Verify it has oil in the lower unit. Check the impeller for cracks and to see if the vanes have a permament bend in them. Also give the choke a cleaning w/o removing it prior to starting (Sea Foam or Carb Cleaner or etc.) I had to take mine out and it's not as quick and simple as three other newer motors I have done recently. You have to remove the power head in mine to get the carb off. I found a plug of something deep down in the float area. Once I got it cleaned out and back together, it worked great.

Good Luck

UTTOM

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks very much.

One more question if I may.

I was hitting it with Deep Creep when I noticed a tube coming off the carb pointing straight up. It is about 1" long. is it a vacuum line? I assume it is not the fuel intake line becuase I though that was under the tiller arm through a little whole in the cowling (but I may be wrong).

luv2b0at

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe it it just a vent line. I noticed it too, and gas will come out once the bowl is full. I didn't/don't have anything hooked to mine and it runs fine. Feel free to ask any more questions. I am happy to be able to help. Most of the time I am the one asking for help.

UTTOM

Seaman Apprentice

Cool. Will do.

Where do you get the lower unit plug seals? on-line vendor?

Thanks

luv2b0at

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a local shop owner who knows a guy where he can get parts for these old motors. I have had to make a couple of my own parts for this and an older (1957) 12 HP Elgin. I didn't have to replace any seals on my lower unit just to check the oil.

UTTOM

Seaman Apprentice

Me again.

What is the correct fuel line size? 5/16" ID?

Glad to read your is humming right along.

Thanks.

UTTOM

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. Great to hear that on the seals. One question down , one more to go.

Do you happen to know the fuel line answer? I could just trial and error, but hopefully someone may know.

Thanks again.

Loggerhead52

Cadet

Hope you don't mind but Just wanted to say that it's good to hear that some of the old McCullochs are still around. I was about 10 or 11 years old when an old family friend gave me a '59 Wizard 7.5 (made by McCulloch) that I tinkered with and finally got running. That was around 1962 or '63 and here we are 46 years later and still hearing about some of the old ouboards still running...so much for good old American ingenuity huh...wonder how many of the newer outboards will still be going 46 years from now.:(

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

My 7.5's (I've had a few) all had a port on the top of the carb for overflow, but I never had any piece of fuel line attached to it so not sure -post a picture and we can help more.

UTTOM

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. The old girl does not have any spark. I took off the rope pully assemble, but the flywheel below is stuck on harder than woodpecker lips. I assume that some type of mechanical puller is required or is it just "hardended" in place?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A universal puller or harmonioc balancer puller available at harbor freight.Leave the flywheel nut on loose to protect the threads.
You will need hardened bolts to use with it (hardware store)There is a plate with 4 slots and a big bolt that threads into the center.There are 3 threaded holes in the flywheel use the bolts through the slots threaded a at least 1/2" into the holes in the flywheel.tighten the center bolt to pull the flywheel.
Usually have to tighten bolt good and tight and then hit the end of it with a hammer to pop the flywheel loose.Sometimes on a small motor you can have an assistant hold up on the flywheel with the nut backed off to protect the threads. Useing a brass or lead hammer or something like a junk screwdriver handle layed on the nut to protect it. whack it good.Ther little ones will usually pop loose.

UTTOM

Seaman Apprentice

I really appreciate the advice and instructions. Any idea what the torque setting will be when I put it back on?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I really appreciate the advice and instructions. Any idea what the torque setting will be when I put it back on?

Fly wheel torque is 400 in lbs. Bore and crank clean and dry.

hiking

Recruit

Good evening: I have just purchased an early 60`s McCulloch 7.5 and my serial numbers just happen to match up with 64300750-but ends with 1952. any idea if this is a 1964 Elgin ?? I am searching for the rubber bullet end cap for the lower unit shaft to keep the shear pin in place. I have the original , but it is split and will not stay on the shaft. I am also searching for a single hose fuel line connector to clip onto the motor. I`m aware that a hose clamp would do but curious to see if any og the old connectors are available, or an after market product is arount. The motor runs great and is stamped inside-1952 after the serial nuimber. Would eventually like to purchase an owners` manuel and keep this motor for the cabin lake. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who could tell me what I actually have, the year and such and where onl;ine to start searching for parts when needed. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

We need the model number.Should begin with 574.
The Scott guy at "ask the scott guy" is probably the best bet for Scott McCulloch info parts,part sources etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.