Elgin Boat Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Elgin 6 HP boat motor that I found and was able to get it running. What I want is to find as much info about it as I can find. It is Made by McCulloch for Sears & Roebuck. Model # 574.60050 and S/N is 61600610-1376 Can anybody help me?

djflory

Recruit
Re: Elgin Boat Motor

Your motor is listed in the 1961 Sears Spring & Summer catalog as item 6A6005N. Interestingly it was available as a 7.5hp or 6.0hp for $229.00 with shipping weight of 60lbs. It came with a 3.5gal fuel tank was touted as 10 inches shorter than most other 5hp engines.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You really gotta love it, or you will find it to be an intolerable POS. My opinion.

nightprowl1

Recruit

i just was given a elgin boat, motor, and trailer and i am really new at this so can anyone tell me what it is hp wise or how to restore it. this is the info i have on it .... it is a 1961 elgin model # 62150 ( cant read the rest of the plate) the motor says 40 elgin .... thats all i have except i put a tape to it and its 14ft. long. and blue and white. will try to put pics on later

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The motor was built by McCulloch, previously known as Scott-Atwater. They weren't too bad. But you won't find parts for it at just any corner gas staton. If you enjoy a challenge and want to restore it, go for it.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

Discount Marine bought out all remaining McCulloch parts stock. They are the McCulloch source for both outboard and Chainsaw parts.

<http://www.discount-marine-parts.com/index.html>

mjjude

Recruit
I have a 1946, 1.25 hp elgin. She was running until the idle tube gasket went bad. The gasket was torn up beyond recognition. Does anyone have input on whether this is an o-ring or gasket material?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Gasket. Welcome, and now please put this 8+ year old thread back into the archives and start a new thread if you have any more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.