Help with Tanaka 1.2 spark

EcumSecumguy

Cadet
I have inherited a pristine 1.2 Sears 1974 outboard made by Tanaka. It is a TOB-12B. I have realized there are very few parts available to repair it. One issue i am having is with the ignition. I pulled the flywheel an cleaned and gapped the points which are in good shape. I set the timing as per the original manual that i have. I reassembled it and there appears to be a problem with the spark. It will light up a spark plug tester which has a bulb in it fine, but if i attach a plug and ground it and pull it will not fire across the gap. I went and got a Lisle spark plug tester which allows you to set the gap (.024) but it wont fire across this either. The coil and condenser look brand new. I tested the coil as best i could and the resistance at the recommended ohm setting on my multimeter seems ok. The capacitor (condensor) also seems to pass the simple multimeter test i found.

Any thoughts appreciated on this. It is a shame to scrap thus motor ut is a 1974 timecapsule I even have the original box.

EcumSecumguy

Cadet
I tried the plug which looks brand new in a couple other engines i have and it sparks fine across the gap. So the Tanaka appears to generate enough voltage to light the xenon bulb in the tester but not enough to fire across the plug. The coil and condenser look brand new. I' not sure what is going on.

Attachments

• photo333274.jpg
    photo333274.jpg
    646.1 KB · Views: 4

EcumSecumguy

Cadet
I hooked up a electronic conversion kit that was pretty cheap (Oregon 33-053) and rolled it over with a drill it sparks like crazy. Haven't run it yet but looks like it will work fine but I'm not sure about timing. Interesting tho it looks like it was the condensor.

robert graham

Admiral
Sounds like that old condenser was bad.....I've been running a Tanaka 3 HP since 1983 and not very many problems at all...great motors...good idea to rinse motor with fresh water after use then spray it down with WD-40 or similar to keep corrosion at a minimum.

EcumSecumguy

Cadet
Filled it with fresh mix and boom...appears to run great. A bit noisy lol but it is what it is for an air cooled outboard. Looks like fun for my 15' Hunter sailboat.

willp

Cadet
Sounds like that old condenser was bad.....I've been running a Tanaka 3 HP since 1983 and not very many problems at all...great motors...good idea to rinse motor with fresh water after use then spray it down with WD-40 or similar to keep corrosion at a minimum.
I have the same outboard--No spark. Did the olm test and found there are zero olms from cap to grnd. Where can I down load manual with schematic diagram . Once in a great while there was spark spining with my cordless drill. TY