Help Needed for ignition problem

Tshews

Recruit
Good Morning All,

I currently am struggling get a 1989 15hp Gamefisher outboard running. Model 225581501. I have no spark and I have read all the threads on the CDI ignition kits. My problem is before I spend the money, How do I bypass the deadman switch (lanyard) and the stop button to make sure that its not one of those causing the no spark. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Just follow the wires from the stop button or lanyard. One will go to ground, the other to the power pack. Disconnect that wire. Spark is killed by grounding that 'kill wire'... Disconnecting it removes that potential ground. Just be warned. If the engine does run, there'll be 300v on that wire, Do not touch it... Makes your eyeballs spin.

Chris........

Tshews

Recruit
Hi Chris,coil.jpg

Thanks for info, another question, Based on picture there are two brown wires coming from the switches to underneath the fly wheel. Which brown would be the ground? The brown wire connected to the 2 blue wires or the brown wire connected to the other two brown wires?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Can't find a wiring diagram anywhere, but I did find out that the screw and washer holding the 3 brown wires together are plastic. So that one (top of your photo) is the one you want to remove. When you remove the screw, check the washer. If it's cracked or broken, it may allow a path to earth (which would kill spark). And make sure none of those brown wires are touching that base plate.

Chris........