1978 Chrysler 360 Inboard Stalling

I have a 1978 Chrysler 360 inboard that runs and revs fine while in neutral. In gear I can accelerate up to 1000-1200 rpms which is just barely moving me. Beyond this point it takes me a long time of creeping on and off the throttle (in an effort to keep it from stalling) to get to WOT which seems to be 4200-4300 rpms. It starts/re-statrs fine and I let it get to the operating temp of 140 before I leave the dock. I have also changed the impeller, circulating pump, hoses, thermostat, spark plugs and wires. From what I understand, the boat sat dry and unfueled for seven years. The 60 gallon tank was completely dry when I topped it off with super. One other thing to make note of is that after reaching 140 at dock, the temp naturally drops a little as its raw water cooled during acceleration. I'm thinking perhaps a choke or timing issue? Any other thoughts? Thanks for your time. Eric

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1978 Chrysler 360 Inboard Stalling

I have a 1978 Chrysler 360 inboard that runs and revs fine while in neutral. In gear I can accelerate up to 1000-1200 rpms which is just barely moving me. Beyond this point it takes me a long time of creeping on and off the throttle (in an effort to keep it from stalling) to get to WOT which seems to be 4200-4300 rpms. It starts/re-statrs fine and I let it get to the operating temp of 140 before I leave the dock. I have also changed the impeller, circulating pump, hoses, thermostat, spark plugs and wires. From what I understand, the boat sat dry and unfueled for seven years. The 60 gallon tank was completely dry when I topped it off with super. One other thing to make note of is that after reaching 140 at dock, the temp naturally drops a little as its raw water cooled during acceleration. I'm thinking perhaps a choke or timing issue? Any other thoughts? Thanks for your time. Eric

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... It sounds like you have a Fuel Delivery issue,...

Check the fuel filter's Contents for crud...

Last edited:

salty87

Commander
Re: 1978 Chrysler 360 Inboard Stalling

what about points, rotor, condensor and dist cap?