yamaha stern drive shift problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha stern drive shift problems

Hey, new to the site. It seems this is the best place to learn about repairs. I have a 1993 VIP with a L4 3.0 and Yamaha stern drive. The shift problem is this; I thought it was in the cables, well that is not the case because the cables when not connected to the linkage move freely. I have removed the lower unit from the gimbal housing and checked the control cable to see if that was the problem. Cable is fine, however the shift rod is difficult to move. Is the problem in the shift rod linkage or other. please advise

Thanks

Re: yamaha stern drive shift problems

with the outdrive removed look at the top of the shift shaft where it enters the bushing, thats most likly the culprit, the bushing would corrode a bit and lock up the shaft.
    best I remember the upper and lower had to be seperated to clean the bushing and shaft.
    havent seen one in this area in several years but in the late ninties I did many of them.
    no tech questions by PM, they wont get answered.
    you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to .

Comment

Welcome to iboats.....
      Disclaimer!: In my inexpert opinion......

Comment

Drain drive, split halves, tap out bronze fork carefully. Easy to bend. Drill out bushings one size over and reassemble. That will solve the shifting problem

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Ken View Post
          Drain drive, split halves, tap out bronze fork carefully. Easy to bend. Drill out bushings one size over and reassemble. That will solve the shifting problem
          Hi Capt Ken, what do you mean by one size over? Drill bit size?
          .........::::::Nothing says Harmony like Mozart, Van Halen and a pair of E-tecs at WOT::::::.........

Comment

Welcome aboard rudeman, If you have a question, please start a new thread and ask it and stop replying to these old threads per the forum rules and the announcement at the top of the forum (this thread is from 2008). Here is the announcement if you didn't see it.

http://forums.iboats.com/announcement.php?f=446
            Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
            That is what the forums are for.
            Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Working...
            X