Yamaha stern drive raw water pump making noise

ryno1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just noticed that my raw water pump starts making noise after 1-2 minutes of the engine running. It continually gets louder. I pinpointed the sound and touched the pump. It was so hot it burned me. I imagine the bearings are going out.

I looked at a replacement and they are $750! The concept of the pump is a simple thing. I'm wondering if there are alternatives to purchasing this $750 pump (http://store.boatsunlimitedny.com/Raw-water-Pump/P2915_1145/).

Are there:

1. Ways to fix the pump
2. Pumps which can be purchased for other brand of out drives that would be compatible.

Any insight would be appreciated. I'm at a place in the season where days matter to make the most of the very short boating window I have left.

Thank you!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you will have to do your own research. for example, a VP crank mounted raw water pump is about $350 from VP, however its just a Johnson J5 or J6 pump which is about $140 if you buy it as a Johnson pump.

look at the pump, look for markings, and buy direct.

ryno1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For posterity sake, I found that these water pumps are made by a company called Pentair which manufactures these pumps under the brand name of "Sherwood". There are Sheerwood repair kits available at a fraction of the cost (Paid ~$170 from ebay plus shipping as opposed to $750+), but it appears you must have a press in order to do the repair from what I understand. Luckily I have access to one.

https://www.pentair.com/en/products/heating-cooling/marine-engine-cooling/r991_sherwood_pump.html
https://www.go2marine.com/Sherwood-18655-Major-Repair-Kit
https://www.pumpvendor.com/Sherwood_18655.html

A lot of these shops appear to be gouging the customer by setting the prices quite arbitrarily it seems. I've noticed that a lot with the Yamaha Sterndrives. Every part is "Gold" and it's like the Wild West.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
that is because Yamaha hasnt been supported in the US since they got sued in 1994 for patent infringement. so they can charge what the market would bare.

ryno1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Scott Danforth and I have paid the price as an owner of this Yamaha for 10+ years. Prior to that, it was my friend's boat and I helped him build it 10 years prior to when I bought it (we tore it down to nothing) and I paid the price then too.... I just can't get rid of it after bringing it back from the dead 20 years ago.

At this point it is a Frankenstein boat with mix and match parts and a lot of "new" parts. I just can't let it go.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Is it pumping water ? Not sure of your particular engine and set up...but I know that some petrol Yamaha badged engines are just your average GM V6 or V8.
Cant think why it would get so hot unless it was running dry.

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I had my Yamaha, I bought a water pump from lordco. It was the exact same. Take it in there and they will match it up. I believe the cross ref was GM pickup 1966 or something like that. Under $100 and never had an issue again.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
When I had my Yamaha, I bought a water pump from lordco. It was the exact same. Take it in there and they will match it up. I believe the cross ref was GM pickup 1966 or something like that. Under $100 and never had an issue again.
I think you are confusing the raw water pump and the engine circulating pump. never us an automotive circulating pump in a marine application. the difference is marein has brass impeller and stainless back cover vs the automotive pump having a stamped steel impeller and a stamped steel back cover

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the price difference is hundreds, I'd use it. I had 4 years on mine before I sold the boat, and kept going. I understand the longevity of the brass impeller and stainless back plate but, I'd rather just replace the water circulating pump every 5 years at under 100 than spend 800 on a drive and motor that isn't supported and is 27 years old.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
since the motor that Yamaha used is a GM motor, the only difference on the circulating pump is about $10 between automotive and marine from GM. cant help that people charge 10x because the GM motor is attached to a yamaha outdrive.

however the raw water pump is what the OP is having problems with. there was no mention of the circulating pump at all.