Hurth ZF v drive transmission

dirtdevilnc

Cadet
hi all, I am looking to purchase a new to me Maristar 210 VRS. It is outfitted with the GM Corvette branded LT1 and Hurth ZF V-drive. Overall it’s in good shape with low hours. The owner is currently running ATF and I understand sometime in the early 2000 time frame the transmission manufacturer recommended moving to 15w40 to quiet perceived transmission rattling noises from owners, newer boats outfitted with this trans noted 15w40 in the owners manuals.
My question is it seems to have a transmission whine when under way. I have confirmed that when the engine is in neutral and revved the engine there is no wine so it’s not the alternator or impeller.
I currently have an older centurion v drive with a velvet drive transmission which is barely unnoticeable as far as sound goes.
Attached is a link to a quick video I shot, does this seem abnormal or is it just a different transmission which makes different sounds?
thank you.

https://youtu.be/O5TbW8U9aKg

alldodge

Staff member
Have not heard about 10W anything in a ZF and looking at the manual there is plenty of fluids listed, but no 10W something. Maybe this comes up (I'm dating my self) from the old thing about manual transmissions. In the old days, bad car sales folks would put saw dust in a transmission to make it quieter. This allowed the sale and then the transmission went out later

So IMO you should use only Dexron or other Hydraulic trans type fluid.

I did hear light wine but not sure its that bad. I would drain the fluid and check the filter for anything other then a slight bit of dust kind of stuff.

zf.jpg

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
hi all, I am looking to purchase a new to me Maristar 210 VRS. It is outfitted with the GM Corvette branded LT1 and Hurth ZF V-drive. Overall it’s in good shape with low hours. The owner is currently running ATF and I understand sometime in the early 2000 time frame the transmission manufacturer recommended moving to 15w40 to quiet perceived transmission rattling noises from owners, newer boats outfitted with this trans noted 15w40 in the owners manuals.
Howdy,

It might help if you post the exact make and model of "transmission" in your boat. There are many models out there and many have different requirements.

If it's a ZF marine transmission, here's a LINK you can look at that likely indicates fluid requirements for your model. Since you didn't post the model, I cannot make a suggestion. When you find the actual model just look it up. The ZF (automotive and marine) transmissions can be serviced with a fairly wide variety of oils as indicated.

If it's a ZF (is Hurth now part of ZF?) have a look at the following, find your model number and class of approved oil.....then scroll further down and find the "Class" of oils recommended.

Some are allowed to use multigrade engine oils like 5W-40, 10W-40 and 15W-40 and others etc....

https://aftermarket.zf.com/go/en/aft...on/lubricants/
And for marine transmissions:

"List of lubricants TE-ML 04"

https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemed...e-ml-04-en.pdf

But if you have noise and it's NOT due to low fluid level, (which may have already resulted in damage) changing the fluid type is not going to fix it nor will adding any snake-oil additive.........

You need to investigate further as suggested by ALLDodge. Don't just continue to run it unless you want to replace the drive.

Regards,

Rick

AND just to be clear, the following is a ZF statement on additives:
Additives of any kind added later to the oil change the oil in a manner that is unpredictable, and they are therefore not permitted.
No liability of any kind will be accepted by ZF for any damage resulting from the use of such additives.

Last edited: