OMC 800 outdrive question

Andy4802

Cadet
Hey folks, I have an 82 Seasprite 19.5 footer with the 3.8 and omc 800 model outdrive. I have to swap the outdrive out and found a good deal on one about an hour away from here, however the model # is different from what's on mine.

Mine says model # 983159 on the drive whereas the one I want to swap in has 982566 on it... in the pics I have seen of it, they look 100% identical.

is the model # difference due to something like a different gear ratio? Does anyone know? I have been trying to find model # info online with no success.

Thanks

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC 800 outdrive question

do both have the square anode in front of the 6 idle relief holes near the anti-ventilation plate on the lower unit?

to verify ratio, turn the ball gear 10 times and see how many revolutions the propeller makes.

Andy4802

Cadet

do both have the square anode in front of the 6 idle relief holes near the anti-ventilation plate on the lower unit?

to verify ratio, turn the ball gear 10 times and see how many revolutions the propeller makes.

Yes to the 6 holes. Is that a good thing?

btw, I know that the donor unit came from another boat that had the 3.8 ... that's probably also a good thing, right?

I can check the ratio on mine with the ball gear prop trick, but I don't have the replacement one here yet.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

......Yes to the 6 holes. Is that a good thing?.......

It's the anode that is important not the holes. I assume by your year, yours looks like the picture. If so, so should your replacement.

Andy4802

Cadet

It's the anode that is important not the holes. I assume by your year, yours looks like the picture. If so, so should your replacement.

yes it is visually identical to the one I have and it has the anode + 6 holes. the only difference I can see is the model # on the tag.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

It will be the correct gear ratio.

Andy4802

Cadet

Thanks for the help everyone!

Just got home from picking it up... he gave me a fully assembled working outdrive (minus the intermediate) AND a fully functional lower (black in the pics) that he had previously pulled from a seized upper. I shifted the cables manually on both and they seem to work great... also a box of miscellaneous parts + a prop with each unit. Oh and one of the shift cables looks brand new which is great because mine was pretty frayed on both ends and may not have lasted much longer. All that for 500$, I'm happy considering I was quoted a ballpark minimum of 1500 to rebuild it... I know it's still not a "new" foot but it gets me back in the water this year (if all goes as planned).
couple pics for ya

how about a couple shots of the beautiful beast :)

previous owner painted the hull with what I suspect to be black tremclad with little to no prep. As you can see it's already coming off... If she's good to me for the rest of this season i'll strip the hull next spring and give her a proper paint job with marine paint.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Now, here's what you need to do to that outdrive.