1988 Bayliner 2.3l

Nates88capri

Cadet
Hello, I just purchased a 2.3l bayliner and I'm having trouble getting it running. I did new plugs, wires, oil+filter, fuel filter. I am getting fuel.

I don't think I am getting spark. How do I pull the points out of the distributor to clean or replace them?

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=258222

I would like to do what this thread says, but I am unsure on how to get the points out.

f6e487d8.jpg

780102ab.jpg

66ce46e3.jpg

jpwilly

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1988 Bayliner 2.3l

Start by downloading the 1986-1998 OMC Stern drive manual. I think this link still works. This is a pdf that covers a lot of maint and repair for your 2.3L as well as the other engines. http://www.4shared.com/office/Xta6iuv6/omcsterndrivesandmotors1986-19.html

I have an 88 bayliner with the 2.3L Cobra but the previous owner put MSD type ignition on (procomp)...no points!

Keep in mind most Ford Mustangs and Rangers i.e. Ranger forums have this simple how to written up and can be a good alternative source of info.

Welcome!

Joel

jpwilly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This may help you a little more. If you got to boats .net they have lots of parts diagrams. Look up the distributor

Problem is I cannot past the URL without it changing...

Here's the link take the spaces out and put in boats .net for the ***** : http:// www. ********** /parts /search /OMC /SternDrive /1988/232AMRGDP /DISTRIBUTOR /parts.html

Nates88capri

Cadet

I am unsure where the safety lanyard is on this boat. I did not see one on the dash. I do not have a manual for the boat.

Nates88capri

Cadet

I have no fuel comming into the carb. I took apart the fuel pump and it looks to be in really good shape.

Any other reasons what could be causing no fuel to be going in to my carb.

yes my tank is half full.

jpwilly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have no fuel comming into the carb. I took apart the fuel pump and it looks to be in really good shape.

Any other reasons what could be causing no fuel to be going in to my carb.

yes my tank is half full.

Take a look at the check valve (anti siphon) might be bad. It is at where the fuel tank and fuel line connects. The screen at the pickup tube could be clogged with debris. You could test by putting the fuel line to a small portable gas tank and see if it starts pumping fuel.

Wow i have the same boat and its in pretty much the exact condition. Also i could get the manual download to work??? Said it wasn't there.

jpwilly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

PM me I'd be glad to email you the PDF.

Nates88capri

Cadet

Wow i have the same boat and its in pretty much the exact condition. Also i could get the manual download to work??? Said it wasn't there.

Very cool. If we have any problems we can help each other.

Do you know what the starting protocol is? Do you need to push the black button on the dash to start it?

black button on the dash?? I have something missing on mine so im guessing they got tired of that button and ripped it out at one point. LOL sorry. Anything else ask me and i'll do my best to help. Im new to this boat too but i'll do what i can.

Nates88capri

Cadet

Well thank you.

I'm trying to figure out my kill switch right now and what wires go to it?

I just learned I need to pull the throttle to Neutral to start this boat. I had no idea I needed to do that.

The vent on the back of the boat for the gas tank was clogged with debris. After I cleaned it out I am now getting gas.

Hey nate heres a link to the omc manual we need on cd. Jp offered to send it but we weren't able to get it to work through PM. I ordered mine today and it was 6 bucks including shipping.

This first link is the listing for the item.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/17084588386...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_1156

This link is the sellers contact and feedback info incase the item listing didn't work. By the way he has this same item listed under different prices and pics. 6 bucks sounds better than 8 to me...
http://myworld.ebay.com/attaboymurphy/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Nates88capri

Cadet

I found my kill switch wire. The purple one coming from the ignition. I now have powe going to the engine.

I bought a new coil, that works good now. I'm still not hearing this engine fire up.

Maybe my neutral saftey switch is bad and not allowing it to start?

It won't crank when in gear. The throttle needs to be pulled out before t will crank.

jpwilly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes your throttle needs to be in neutral to crank the motor. Pulling it out allows you to keep in neutral and rev the motor without putting it into gear. Great for when you are starting the motor cold. I give mine half throttle when I crank it when it fires I back it right down to just above idle. My electronic choke is bad.

So from what I gather you are saying it won't crank over, right? You may want to check the ground wire connections on the starter and ignition system for corrosion. If you don't have good ground you'll have all kinds of electronic problems. So be sure those are all cleaned up and you have good ground for all electrical systems. Under your dash is most likely a rusty fuse panel clean all that up (check the fuses) and wear saftey glasses so you don't get rust in your eyes.

jpwilly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hopefully this will encourage you. I just swapped to a Ranger Roller Cam and finished up buttoning up a few things last night...I took this video of it running:

nice. Hey jp what size gas tank do you have? If I had a too big of ratio of bad gas compared to good gas could it produce white smoke? My compression was 175 all around. Plugs smelled like solvent. Im gonna try to hook up the fuel pump to just a gas can tonight. Also in your video i see that clear fuel line coming from the top of fuel pump going to the side of carb? What is that for? Sorry my repair manual is still in the mail. Thanks, Rm

jpwilly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think this tank is 21 gal. Bad gas and white smoke?? Not sure if could cause that or not. But the plugs smelling like solvent could mean the gas turned.

The clear fuel line is the overflow hose it's a marine saftey item to keep raw gas from going into the bilge and KABOOM.

Nates88capri

Cadet

That boat sounds really nice! It sure is motivating to get mine going now.

Maybe tomorrow I can go out and play with it some more.