omc 5.8 cobra info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rknrollo

Cadet
I picked up a cherry 94 chris craft concept 217 bowrider about a month ago, it has the 5.8 cobra efi engine, I cant seem to find much on this engine, it looks to have the ford cast cobra HO intake, I know its not the stock truck style,

does anyone know what the hp/tq rating is? also how does the engine management work? I dont see an 02 sensor anywhere and being new at boats I dont know if boats even have them, would it be an alpha n type system?

I am familiar with automotive efi systems with speed density and MAF but I was wondering how it works and how you could check the a/f ratio, timing curve etc...?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: omc 5.8 cobra info?

Howdy,

It may be somewhere around 275-300hp

It might help if you post the actual model number of your engine/drive system. I.E. 584ACPMDA etc.

There is no oxygen sensor. I don't think ANY EFI marine engines (of yesteryear) had them.

If you go to http://epc.brp.com , (you can leave the email thing blank) You can look up all the part numbers for your particular model (It may also be a 1992 or 1993 model since boat makers frequently use "last year" engines/drives)

Be VERY CAREFUL with your EFI module. If it fails, you may not be able to buy another one.

Be careful with the drive too. That should be a "interim" Cobra cone clutch drive. It's not the same as a Volvo SX and they are getting scarce too!

Pictures?

Regards,

Rick

rknrollo

Cadet

the model # of the engine is a 58facpmdm, I'm not sure on the outdrive but I had to buy a new prop because the wife broke the old one and when I looked up the numbers on the prop it says it fits volvo/penta sx drives 94 up.

I've read the ecm's are hard to come by, I'm sure a mega-squirt or aftermarket programmable unit could work but if it came down to it I could just yank the efi and put a carb/intake and regular distributor. Ive built many a 351w-408 for vehicles so I know them well;

Heres a couple pics from the weekend at Parker Az......got the boat and matching trailer with 310hrs for 3900.00 it was only used at Big Bear lake and winterized and meticulously maintained.

faucboat004.jpg

oct19rivr003.jpg

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

Do you have a belt driven raw water pump mounted under your alternator?

If you do, you've got the SX Cobra (the same as the Volvo Penta SX).

Does your drive look like this that has a flat surface on top of the drive? This is the older OMC Cobra.

attachment.php

Or does it look like this? This is the Cobra SX that has the 'hump' on top of the drive.

attachment.php

If the VP SX prop fit, then your drive should look like the second one with the hump and you should have a belt driven raw water pump below the alternator. If you do, then you have the cone clutch and not the dog clutch. I was a little confused on my drive at first, but later realized that I had the Cobra SX drive. If it is, then you did REALLY well for the price you paid.

haulnazz15

Captain

He's got a drive belt going down below the crank for something, I would have to assume it's a water pump. Looks like a great boat/power package for the price.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

According to your model number 58facpmdm, you have the Volvo SX drive.

rknrollo

Cadet

the boats in AZ right now and I'm back in CA but I'm pretty sure its the lower pic (sx) it has the hump at the top, as far as the pump under the alt I dont remember one but I'll have to look when I get back.

rknrollo

Cadet

I just looked at a picture of the boat I had and its definetly the like the one in the lower picture.

dakine

Seaman

I have one of those.
Ford quit making marinized 351's in 1996 or so.
The 351 has a great oiling system and plenty of cast iron.
Smoother than a SBC,maybe.

From what I know, eventual problems are the two fuel pumps, the fuel pressure regulator and the float assembly in the cool fuel reservoir.
ECU failures I have not read about but tft ignition module failures are not unknown in Ford world.

Changing plugs with the marine manifolds in place can provide some entertainment but the distributor is right where it should be.

95 fourwinns

Recruit
Have the 5.8L in my Fourwinns. Looks like I need a fuel cooler resovior. One of the hose attachments from the raw waterpump snapped off! Really looking for a used one and not having much luck. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20240106_152252.jpg
    20240106_152252.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.