Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
  • Dear Community Members,

Over the last two years, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability, performance, and security. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface and site performance have revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software our site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video, and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this user experience to all members. We will be updating to a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well and loads faster on all devices while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change. What’s next?

When will this be happening? The plan is to put our current forums into maintenance mode (off line) at around 9am MST on 9/30/2020! The whole transition should take 24-36 hours. We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Management

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1987 4.3 Edelbrock 2111 swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 4.3 Edelbrock 2111 swap

1987 searay Edelbrock 2111 swap
    +So long story short I bought a boat that ended up having been frozen decided to swap in a car engine blah blah blah.. I ended up having to go with an edlbrock intake and carb because the stock intake had a fitament issue with the roller cam again blah blah
    The problem I am having is with the alternator having a issue with the raised from stock water neck. It should be an issue any une with a late 80's boat who has done an ed swap would have ran into. can any one give me a work around?

first, welcome aboard

second, you mean you have a 4.3 long block you moved all your marine accessories to, including a cam, because the cam for a car has too much over-lap for a marine application and you will suffer reversion

or did you take a 4.3 out of a car as-is and drop into your boat, creating a bomb?

boat accessories are different than car accessories. every marine rotating electrical has a spark suppressing screen to prevent explosions. the marine fuel systems are design to fail safe and simply make the motor run bad vs automotive fuel systems are designed to dump fuel externally

marine engines are nothing more than truck (not car) long-blocks with marine head gaskets, brass core plugs, a marine cam profile, a marine circulating water pump and then all the marine accessory drives and marine fuel system and marine rotating electrics
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Not that it maters to my problem with the water neck but I got an engine out of a 1992 s10 blazer and had it built with a marine kit and cam. Im using all the stuff but new from the boat The blazer had a slightly higher HP raying then other engines and it is different then the 87 marine engine in that it has a roller cam again the intake stock wouldnt work so I was forced to go with the Edelbrock and even it needed to be slightly modified to clear the roller cam cover in the valley.

Comment

the 92 motor is 2 generations newer than the 87. yes, all 4.3's got roller cams in 1988. the 1992 should also be a balance shaft engine if it came out of the blazer and that may be what you were hitting did you install marine head gaskets and brass core plugs?

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats

Comment

I used a marine kit. yes

Comment

also no to balance shaft i removed the cover and it just keeps the lifters in line
            Last edited by John E Thatcher; September 15th, 2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

So what I'm reaching the conclusion is I'm gonna have to get vortec heads and a marine intake. I just want to put this out there on the internet so if someone searches they will find that they should not consider using the Edelbrock 2111intake as a solution. IT WON'T work. more money on a boat i thought ran.

Comment

why do you think you need vortec heads? your Edelbrock intake is for non-vortec heads

your 1988 boat did not have vortec heads. the vortec heads did not come out until 1996

post pictures of the issues you are running into, we can help.

Past Boats

Comment

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/0-80552

The Edelbrock 2111 is for the pre-vortec engine but won't fit with the top mount alternator that OMC used, it will only work with a bottom mount alternator. The alternator will interfere with the thermostat housing from what I can see....
                  If you need an intake for a pre-vortec V6 your only choice if keeping it rigged an OMC are the cast iron intakes used by Merc, OMC and Volvo. If you look on ebay decent condition ones come up from time to time. Get a 4bbl intake and you can use a Quadrajet, Holley or Edelbrock (might have to modify the fuel line to get it to fit or move the relays on the shift bracket).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14095285-GM...4AAOSwFKlfKs-4

example, this one looks good, water port not excessively rusted...
                  1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
                  4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
                  07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

The problem I have is this engine has a roller cam and the lifter guide cover is to high in the valley for the non vortec manifold to work. The reason I went with the ed manifold is it would clear that guide cover. Im looking at possibility of relocating the alternator if you all know of a year it was mounted farther away if you could tell me that would be great. vbelt. Then I'll find the brackets I'll take a pick and post it
                    +

Comment

this is it

Comment

you sure, mine also has the roller cam, same guide and I use the pre-vortec 4bbl intake.
                        if you don't have the balance shaft it should work!

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	19
Size:	686.7 KB
ID:	10931856Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	6
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	10931857
                        1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
                        4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
                        07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

yes im positive. The plan was to go stock. I tried to use the 2v intake

Comment

The guy I got it from told me it was a unique moto. Should have bailed right there I cant remembeer the exact s10 he said it came out of. He had it for some rat rod project he was doing. Its non balance shaft roller cam

Comment

I took the cover off and there want a shaft it looked like it held the lifters in place but i just saw a balance shaft motor and it looked similar so that might be the problem.+

Comment

Working...
                              X