Separating outdrive from gimbal housing

Chased2

Seaman
I need to replace my lower control cable thus I need to separate the upper gear box from gimbal. I have removed the tilt bolt supported the piston and the 6 bolts. I've manhandled and wiggled it and can only get maybe 1/4 inch separation. Is there a hidden bolt or a special technique other than just wiggling. The bottom portion is giving the hardest time. Thx

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't know what drive you're talking about exactly, but I don't remember if there is anything else to disconnect from the Cobra; mine didn't come right apart either when I did it last year, I think because the alignment between the drive and motor was off some and it was binding on the driveshaft somewhere.

Chased2

Seaman
So how did you eventually get itv apart? I have a come along carefully attached and jumping on the outdrive still very little separation. I've heard you csn use the tilt hydrolics to help ya but not sure of best procedure. The for your reply.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
This can be a problem on boats that did not get regular maintenance and/or had a leaky driveshaft bellows that caused the driveshaft to corrode to the gimble bearing. Be careful applying force, you can easily break the aluminum housings. You can use wedges to apply pressure, and be patient. Take your time do not rush. I never had this problem with my boat because the drive was removed every year pretty much unless it was not used while major repairs were done.