3.8L no crank/no start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.8L no crank/no start

Bought this 1981 Sun Ray last Fall and it started/ran just fine while when I winterized before storing (was the one and only time I ran it). Shut it down and haven't touched anything until now. Fast forward to this last month when I went to drain/replace all fluids and thought I'd listen to the radio at the same time. Well, I opened a can of worms. I had no power at the dash at all. None of my gauges worked, nor the tilt/trim, or horn. So began the tear down. The stereo wiring was horrendous, so I gutted the interior trying to chase bad connections. All bad/unused wiring was discarded and only what was needed for the boat to run was left in place. I found the two 50a glass fuses for the the tilt/trim and main harness and each tested fine with my MM. Not wanting to take a chance while on the lake, I thought it would be better to replace them with circuit breakers that can be reset. In doing so, I now have power back to the helm!
    One problem solved, but another cropped up. Whenever I hit the tilt/trim or the starter, the voltage at the dash gauge (and confirmed with my MM at the battery drops from 12.6v to 4-ish and stays there until I disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Neither of my circuit breakers pop when this happens. My first thought is a stuck plunger in the starter solenoid, but before I buy anything of importance, I'm going to replace the battery cables and clean/condition the terminals after charging. Any ideas on where I should proceed from there? Advice is greatly appreciated!
    Currently shopping for the next toy.......again. Fires suck!

battery drops from 12.6v to 4-ish and stays there
    Your seeing that and not smelling burning insulation? That's like a dead short.
    For it to go that low and nothing burning there some major corrosion somewhere

Cleaning or replacing cables and cleaning is on target
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 Seadoo GTX
    Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

I'm going to replace the battery cables and clean/condition the terminals after charging.
      Ayuh,...... This, ^^^, is probably where you should have started,......

A bad, dirty ground can cause voltage drop,.....

Comment

Also, after you go thru the electrical system and cleean all the connections, you will need to service the points
        Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
        1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
        2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
        1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
        X