Timing 1981 OMC 3.8

vrm71

Recruit
I got a project boat and want to verify timing , the timing pointer on this OMC 3.8 is directly at the 12 o'clock position above the balancer and I can't figure out how to view this thing as the waterpump is directly above it. The only way I found the timing tab was removing the waterpump pulley and finally found it. I researched online and it seems the omc 3.8 cover had the timing tab in the 2 or 3 o'clock postion which would put it between the waterpump and power steering pump which would make it visible from above.

is it possible this cover is incorrect, possibly an automotive cover? I can snap pics if needed.

Thanks for your help!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there is only one timing cover for the GM 229 V6

the tab is spot-welded to the cover

however if you have the 231 V6 used in earlier years, that would have the distributor in the front cover and the bolt-on timing pointer is closer to 1 oclock

kenny nunez

Captain
Just to be sure remove the #1 spark plug or all of them and turn the engine by hand until the #1 piston is TDC. Then you can see if the timing marks on the balancer lines up with the tab on the cover. If the balancer is pointing to the 2-3 clock position then you will have to buy the bolt on timing flag for a V8 from Chevrolet.

vrm71

Recruit
I will pull # 1 plug tonight and turn it over by hand to tdc and see what I can figure out. Thanks for the responses!

vrm71

Recruit
pulled #1 plug and verified tdc was able then to paint a line on the balancer and timing cover in roughly the 3 o clock position. I then was set my timing light to 10* advance and verify timing. Thanks for the help!