Eledelbrok carb on 259 hp omc

Metalwizard23

Seaman
So since I cleaned my fuel tank. Every time my boat sits.i go to run it. And the accelerator pump. Is stuck... I have to pull the bowl on my holley. And spry carb cleaner through... Then it runs fine...

I get a tiny bit of yellow film inside the carb... Even though I cleaned the tank. Lines. New filter. Second filter etc... I'm sure its crappy fuel residue.. But I can't get passed it..

Anyways I have a edelbrock carb. That has a plunger tyoe accelerator pump... I think might be less problematic till I get all the contamination run out. (I'm not pulling the stupid tank again.... It was a pain)

Will the throttle adaptor that's on the holley fit the edelbrock so the linkage bolts right up?

It's a 1983 250 hp (351 w).

Oh also the carb on it now is new (same time as I did the tank). But it's the holley marine. ALUMINUM version... The lightweight one...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Sta-bil might be something you want to add to your fuel.
Even if it's not set up for long periods of time.
Keep the engine cover off while parked, yet cover the boat.
Auto parts store: fuel additive, black/grey bottle(looks like an upside down funnel) label says,
Chevron with Techron found this stuff work real well on cleaning, drying your system.

Bought a Ford ranger, efi, cheap.
Didn't run great, added a bottle to an almost empty tank.
Driving down the road I could feel the motor pick up and smooth out
Ran great.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pure gasoline has a life of 6-9 months from the time it is distilated and refined to the time its no longer fuel

gasoline with ethanol in it has a life of 6 months max, and will start to phase separate after 1 month if not agitated

fuel aditives usually make things worse.

you do not have a carb issue, you have a fuel life and filtration issue.

the only thing that can stick on a Holley accelerator pump circuit are the check balls. if it moves freely and doesnt squirt, its the inlet check ball at the bottom of the bowl.

if it moves, however gets stiff, its the outlet check needle in the squirter in the venturies.

Metalwizard23

Seaman
I understand about fuel life.. this boat sat for at LEAST 5 years when I got it... heres what I did to fix that..

this tank was removed from the boat pressure washed inside and out steam cleaned then returned to the boat... ( it does have a baffle in it so its pretty hard to tell whats behind the baffle but the fuel was REALLLLLLY BAD lots of sand it in and totaly shot from sitting) then ALL new fuel lines.. new fuel filter water separator and a second in line clear fuel filter added after the water separator filter.. then all new fuel was added... (plain old 87 octane pump gas)

the first day out it started right up.. ran good.. for the full day..

let it sit about 2 weeks.. it would not start...

took it home... pulled the bowl (yes it was new carburetor when I did the tank too) and it had all sort of yellow stuff in it and a little sand at the bottom of the bowl.. the needle an seat was stuck... and so was the accelerator pump check "BALL" (you all it a ball its the cone shaped rod right under the squiter) a little carb cleaner... put it back together and it ran fine (same fuel did not add any more)

then again waited about 2 weeks went to take it out again... again NO START.. NO FUEL did a fuel pressure test... 6 lbs... and good volume (filled a 32 oz soda cup rather quickly..)

Again I had the check valve under the squirte... stuck completely.... a little carb cleaner and it opened up and squirts fine..

this time theres still some yellow residue,,, (way less) and no sand ant the bottom of the bowl

ran it again all was fine..

went to start it just to run it and add stabil for the winter..... guess what NO PUMP AGAIN... pulled the bowl again.... very little yellow stuff but again the pump stuck.

at this point I gave up and thought I'd try the edelbrock carb I have that came off my chevelle (yes I know its not cost guard approved but it will tell me if it will handle the gunk that must still be left behind or not) being that the edelbrock has a plunger pump and not a diaphram type pump.. and it dose not have that kind of check valave (gravity held in the holley pressure held in the edelbrock) so I posted asking if the linkage will work... and I get told I have a fuel problem... and no answer to the actual question I asked..

I really didnt want to write 20 paragraphs to get an answer but I guess I have to... in the time I took to write this I could have removed the holley and test fitted the edelbrock.. I would have done it today but today was Air race day (took first place by the way) and its windy as heck..

so I guess ill pull it tomorrow and try it i bet ill bet a better answer that way.. and faster...

Metalwizard23

Seaman
Oh also the actual check ball under the diaphram pump in the holley seemed to be fine... as soon as I removed the bowl and pumped the diaphram it squirted... it just could not get past the rod/check valve under the squirter...

Metalwizard23

Seaman
here in this image (generic holley) im talking part number 79 under the squirter nozzel NOT part 25 under the pump diaphram that sticking..

Attachments

• 4150-4160Diag.jpg
    4150-4160Diag.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 0