Electric to Mechanical conversion

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hello all ,

I wanted to post up what I have been working on for the last year and a half or so in hopes of matbe helping out someone down the road .

My boat was born a 77 OMC with an electric shift drive . It has worked OK for me over the years but I have broken a couple of forward shift slinkys in the lower unit which has ruined my vacation, completely out of the blue with no warning.

A gent on here Boomyal way back in the day completed a electric to hydromechanical swap. So over the past few years I have been on the lookout for a nice mechanical 800 that I could swap onto my boat and get rid of the electric shift , not knocking the electric shift - I still see alot of those out there so they must be OK , I just want something that I am a little more confident in and like the concept of a mechanical shifting device .

Your boat HAS to have a short profile electric to do this , its my understanding a tall profile 800 was never made.

You do have to get close to your drive ratio's though. My engine is a ford 302 and the donor was a chevy 350. My electric shift overall ratio was 1.39 and the new drive is 1.41 . So very close ratio wise , dang near identical.

last summer I found a nice unit on a boat that was being parted out so I grabbed everything needed , the drive , converter and controls , even the intermediate shaft and ball gear. (my old electric shift used the mechanical push pull steering ) I converted to tru-course steering during this swap as well but that was from a different donor boat.

pretty straight forward , you need all of that "stuff" from a donor boat. What you do is drill the shift cable hole in the intermediate out to allow for the larger shift cable , I used a 17/32 bit in the end but worked my way up to that size.

Ideally you swap in the correct intermediate which has a boss for the shift cable retainer. My electric shift intermediate doesnt have that of course.

Below is a pic using my spare shift cable that I got with the outdrive to ensure a nice good tight fit.
Click image for larger version  Name:	omc3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	10769907

Completed the process of dialing in the over-stroke switch and nominal neutral adjustments. (the marks on the converter) Click image for larger version  Name:	omc2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	807.3 KB ID:	10769910
I had the boat out over the July 4th holiday and she did great , there were no problems at all - she shifted and ran great , probably put about 10 hours on her .

One thing that did take a little getting used to , is the speed of the shift. Back with my electric shift I would make the shift as slowly as possible to make sure the shift would happen at lowest RPM possible .

With this mechanical you kinda have to make the shift swiftly so you dont kill the engine via the ESA , I killed the engine a couple times cuz of that but no biggie.

so thats about it.

I know that its still a stringer and they have a bad rep overall but I love my boat and she is not rotten and as I mentioned earlier I have much more confidence with a mechanical shift dog clutch style unit . Where I boat it is not uncommon for me to end up 50 miles away from a marina.

Attachments

• omc3.jpg
    omc3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • omc4.jpg
    omc4.jpg
    922.1 KB · Views: 9
  • omc5.jpg
    omc5.jpg
    750.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Great job Red! Congrats on getting it done. Boomer would be proud :)

kenny nunez

Captain
Good job! I closed my shop in 03 and never got to try the conversion. Other than running into a submerged object, the other cause of an electric shift breaking springs was from a bad ground or loose electrical connection and too high of an idle speed. I had a guy with a fly bridge boat that had twin lever controls who would not slow down the engine when docking, he had the nerve to complain when he broke a spring.

Redrig

Good job! I closed my shop in 03 and never got to try the conversion. Other than running into a submerged object, the other cause of an electric shift breaking springs was from a bad ground or loose electrical connection and too high of an idle speed. I had a guy with a fly bridge boat that had twin lever controls who would not slow down the engine when docking, he had the nerve to complain when he broke a spring.

Thanks Kenny , yeah I could never figure out what cause the broken slinkys , I went through all of that pulling my hair out . shift switch good , grounds good , wiring to the shift coil was good, my idle is about 550 about as low as I could ever get it. ....... never could figure it out , everything checked out fine.

and in all honesty , my last electric lower unit was running strong for 5 years or so with no issues. So maybe I just had a couple lemons previously. I mainly wanted to do this for hopefully something that is a little more simplistic and a touch more reliable.

Last edited:

Redrig

I wanted to give this thread an update after putting a full season on the new drive .

I took the boat out 4 times total this summer, including one weeklong trip to Powell where she really got a good endurance test , I put probably about 80-90 miles that trip alone on it and had no hiccups whatsoever , it shifts smooth and I have much more confidence in the boat now .

I need to dial in my prop situation though. I am currently running a 17p I think I need to drop that to a 16 or possibly even a 15 for the higher elevation lakes. I would do this conversion again in a heartbeat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Good update. :thumb:

Getting used to the quick shifting?

Redrig

Good update. :thumb:

Getting used to the quick shifting?

Yes I am , it took me a minute though and I certianly killed the boat a few times early on but I have the hang of it now .

southkogs

Staff member
Good on ya' Red. Wherever Boomer is - he's proud of ya' ;)

My 165 (inline six) on an 18' had a 16p. She seemed to fight a little coming out of the hole, but on plane she could cruise at just under 30MPH very nicely.

Redrig

Good on ya' Red. Wherever Boomer is - he's proud of ya' ;)

My 165 (inline six) on an 18' had a 16p. She seemed to fight a little coming out of the hole, but on plane she could cruise at just under 30MPH very nicely.

Yeah my old electric shift , used a 14p for mountain lakes and a 16p for lower . That combo would get it to wot. Of course those pin drive props on electrics are 14" diameter . The 800s are 15" diameter , well at least the stock ones.

So I have to fiddle with that to get it dialed in , every time I look for new prop I just get frustrated , there are so many things to consider and also different parts , prop kits ,etc .

I can now use all of the aftermarket props which is cool , but yikes it can be complicated
​​​​​

southkogs

Staff member
... you eventually have a "golf bag" of 'em and need a prop caddy. ;)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I'm quite impressed at how you fresh water guys keep the old Stringers running. Around here you never see them, even Cobras are rare.