76 omc 230 305 stalls out and then hard to start

steve72george

Recruit
Having some issues with my boat motor its a 76 305 with a 4bbl rochester quadrajet...
Story....
New timing chain lifters and cam (old cam chewed off intake lobe cyl 1) ran last season but i thought timing wasnt set right...didnt like low idle . Tdc on cyl 1 compression and rotor points directly to cyl 1 and harmonic mark is on 0.
Took it out last night starts great ran to 150 temp fir 15 mins at about 2500 rpm. Came down to idle and stalled .. wouldnt start up for 10 mins and seemed to have a fair bit of vapour coming from carb.
Starts.... runs 10 more mins stumbles a bit dies... found moisture in distributor(points and condensor style) bit stupid me pressure washed deck with doghouse off.dried up ...checked for spark ... fired up on 7 cyls...then reattached wire and restarted...heading back to harbour. Running 2k starts to load up n bog down ..stalls.. ten mins to start.....get to dock and idle down a bit dies .. coast to dock... air idle mixture scews dont seem to make alot of difference in or out. Temp gauge on water was reading 150ish same as it always has.

kenny nunez

Captain
I hope that you used the CAMSHAFT BREAK IN GREASE on the new cam and followed the directions. Otherwise you may have already worn off one of the lobes. The reason that the original cam wore out is because the current day engine oils do not have the ZINK additive. So you have to either use a ZINK additive or use Shell oil Rotella or similar brands that have the ZINK additive. You may want to remove the valve covers and spin the engine over to be sure all rocker arms are moving the same amount.
And of course follow Scott’s advice with the carburetor.

steve72george

Recruit
I will check under the valve covers tomorrow.
i dis use an installation lube recommended by locale marine parts place.. ive ordered a full rebuild kit fir the ole 4 barrel quadrajet.. fingers crossed! Should know by weekend the results