OMC cobra transom plate/shield interchangeability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMC cobra transom plate/shield interchangeability

I have a 1992 Seaswirl 220 with a Ford 5.0 and cobra outdrive. Unfortunately my exterior transom shield has corroded and I can not locate an exact year/model (986718) replacement. Does anyone know if a pre-1990 transom shield (986717) will work?

you need to find a OMC parts site and compare parts numbers.
    www.evinrude.com if you look round has the BRP OMC Cobra parts catalog
    also Crowley marine dot com also has a parts catalog
    If the numbers are the same they should work if not then no one can really tell for sure; I see what you are saying, the part looks identical but the part # is different by one digit.
    there is a place up in Canada
    http://www.sterndrive.info/
    they seem to have a lot of Cobra vids on you tube, they might know if the part will work even if the #s are different.
    Last edited by Lou C; March 12th, 2019, 10:29 AM.
    1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
    4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

Quite a few suppliers on line are saying that they have the 0986718 in stock.
      "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."

Comment

Thanks Lou. I use the sterndriveinfo.ca often as they are local in Canada. I never thought to call! They would know for sure. And thank you "wrench 3". I was not seeing stock available where I looked. Which suppliers did you see showing stock of my transom shield.

Comment

Sorry, it seems that I gave you false hope. When I checked more closely you were right.
          I did discover that Volvo Penta part 3858914 is interchangeable and if you're in central Ontario I could give you a marine salvage yard to check.
          Did you check to see if BRP has any stock left?
          "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."

Comment

No worry. False hope is better than none! I will check out the Volvo/Penta part lead. I am in BC unfortunately. Slim on boat salvage yards despite being on the coast. The BRP parts catalogue shows the part but I will have to call to check on any availability.

Have a look at the following research I have done on transom mount configurations. The transoms all seem to be the same across the years 1989 (and likely earlier) through 1993 except in the exhaust configurations/components as listed below:

1989 Exhaust parts:
            909863 riser
            912374 reducer hose
            913497 adaptor
            985715 pipe (new part #985768)
            911831 pipe seal

1990 Exhaust parts:
            909863 riser (elbow with aft 45 degree down exit)
            912374 reducer hose
            913497 adaptor
            986117 pipe (new part #3858873)
            913810 pipe seal (new part #3852846)

1991-93 Exhaust parts:
            3857944 riser (aft horizontal exit)
            3852696 hose
            3853384 adaptor (elbow)
            3852741 hose
            986117 pipe (new part #3858873)
            913810 pipe seal (new part #3852846)

The exhaust components above the pipe are the same for 1989 and 1990. Pipe 986117 fits the two different exhaust configurations/components of 1990 and 1991-93. Therefore, my logic suggests a 1989 pipe would work with my 1992 configuration. This would mean I could use a 1989 transom mount as long as I also replaced my pipe to make the sealing halves fit with the o-ring/seal.

Comment

Question:
              I wonder if you can use the same inner transom shield you have with the outer one that is different by one digit in the part #? That way none of the exhaust components change.
              4.3 OMC Cobra

Comment

Yes I believe the two inner shields lack any real differences in openings etc. However, the inner transom has no relation to the exhaust components. The exhaust Y-pipe bolts directly to the outer transom shield which extends into transom cut-out. The inner shield ends above the exhaust connection. In less words: The Y-pipe shape must match the outer transom shield exhaust opening. I am stuck changing the Y-pipe if I change the outer transom model.

Comment

Ahh yes that make sense. Sounds like if you can get those parts it will all work.
                  On mine the one conversion I had to make was to convert from the one piece exhaust manifolds to the two piece system used from '91 on up. I was able to keep the same Y pipe all I needed was the Volvo Penta 90* exhaust pipes, and hoses that adapt from the 4" elbow hoses to the 3.5" Y pipe. It all fit like factory and allowed me to use the easily sourced Barr aftermarket V6 exhaust.
                  4.3 OMC Cobra

Comment

I have the two piece exhaust, being a 1992. So I bit the bullet and ordered up the used fresh water transom housing and matching exhaust y-pipe both from the 1989 era. Though I believe it will all work out I will be sure to post the results for those having a similar issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X