1964 Buick v6 engine knowledge needed

Bondo

Staff member
I don't think I will redo the original v6 motor, My idea of restoration is not to factory original, but fully functional
for use, so a different outfit will be my direction.

I actually found a complete OMC outdrive

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... If This is the case,.... I suggest ya go the full route, 'n ditch the OMC, All together,....

Mercruiser, 'n most Volvos, you can still buy parts for, unlike 'bout All OMCs,.... Especially the antique Stringers,....

It'll be 'bout the same amount of work, to have a serviceable boat, well into the future,.....
Rather than just another ole hull with another unserviceable, undesirable OMC powered scrap heap,.....

slowhand35

Cadet
Hey all, thanks again for the knowledge and info.
It's been raining and muddy through the holidays, haven't gotten much done on the boat other than some lite cleaning and scraping when I had a dry couple hours.
I've been looking at the different setups of mercrusier and Volvo, most of the mercrusier I've found are straight six and I think there was a height issue with that, so I may need to go with a Volvo Penta 4 cyl.
I've found a couple running, still in boats, just not ready to have a parts boat in my yard being parted out while trying to do the deck foam and trailer mods.
I'll post back when im moving into motor purchase and install, I'm certain that's going to involve a lot.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Look newer. Inline 6s went out in the 70s

You should be looking for donors from the 90s

slowhand35

Cadet
Thanks for that Scott, I have been limiting my searches to the 70's thinking I need to stay close to the year of the boat, that makes a huge difference
I should be able to find something that works a little easier now

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If it was me, i would get a 96 or newer 4.3/alpha setup.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
boating and price are a dichotomy.

a good V6/Alpha pulley to prop long-tail will cost you about $1500 minimum, most likely closer to $2k. you will need to buy the boat and trailer, then scrap the boat and sell the trailer. if you buy it already out of the boat, for some reason the price is nearly double.

then again, rebuilding what you have will cost you about $4k

kenny nunez

Captain
I would stay away from any Volvo 4 cylinder, they are really expensive to repair. If you find a complete Chevy/Volvo V8 or V6 package would not be too bad. A 96 and up Alpha will be the easiest to find.
I have seen wrecked, burned, sunk or theft recovery boats on the Copart auction that are a good source to look at. Here in New Orleans there is a large boat salvage yard and maybe in your area there may be one. Also check all the stern drive shops in your area that do re-powering. I re-sold engine packages several times that were still in good condition.
As far as a inline 6, I once replaced a V6 Buick with one and had to cut the deck for manifold riser clearance. It was a real Frankenstein but the guy just wanted to go fishing!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I would stay away from any Volvo 4 cylinder , they are really expensive to repair

Does that warning apply to the 3 litre produced by GM for both MerCrusier and Volvo, or just some engine that Volvo has made in Europe?

kenny nunez

Captain
If you find a Volvo/GM 4 cylinder that would be a good find. Parts are readily available and not too pricey.
The genuine Volvo engine is a sweet running engine but they have not been used since Volvo bought out OMC which was called the Joint Venture system at that time. So if you found one and it was used in fresh water only you might luck out. One thing about the AQ series of Volvo drives they are best quality and will outlast the engine. While the parts are expensive they do not break and hold up in a salt water environment better than any other drive . You can still buy parts for the first AQ 100 models that were produced in 1959.