Stringer drive, electric shift questions

Skipwack

Recruit
Anyone else still following this thread. I have a bad FWD spring, I think, I can put 12v to the wd and no click, when I hit the reverse wire with 12v it clicks. I have the lower removed, swivel housing off the top of the lower unit, the shaft that the prob goes on out of the housing with about half of the shaft, problem is it's the reverse end.

Is there a way to get the FWD end of the shaft out without the Magic Socket, thanks a million for that part number BTW, to hold the input shaft splines and removing that nut?

Any other magic things I need to know, I'm trying to get this done to catch the last of the Bonito running off of Dana Point, maybe catch one last Mako this season.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard Tom,......

No postin' in antique threads, such as the 1 ya posted in,...... 90 days is the age limit,.....
I started a thread of yer own, 'n linked the antique thread to it,......

southkogs

Staff member
There is one (perhaps a couple) OMC specific tool you need to rebuild the lower. I never purchased it or figured out a workaround. I was able to find a used lower pretty fast and easy, and did that instead.

You're getting good power all the way to the shift wire, but the boat wont' shift into forward. Correct?

kenny nunez

Captain
It appears that you have the propeller shaft pulled and since you do not have the spline socket and you have an old shaft that the water pump impeller is on. Cut the shaft and weld a socket to it. After that hold the nut with a 1&1/16” to remove the nut. Do not use that nut over, get a new one. Pull the shaft and collect the loose roller bearings. Repack them back with some heavy grease. The forward gear will now come out. Inspect the forward wire and check the resistance on low scale, 4.5-6.5. Shake the wire to be sure that it is not damaged. If the spring is broken you will see the break. There may or may not be a snap ring holding the forward gear and hub together. Make sure to get new set screws to install the new spring with Loctite. Replace the shift wire that goes through the tube nut, sometimes I had to use a drill bit to remove it if the tube nuts were on back order. A new nut is the best way to go. To get the needle bearing out of the gear case head there is a special tool for access to the rear seals. With some heat and patience you might be able to tap it out without damage.