OMC Cobra (Volvo-Penta) Winterization - Pivot Housing

Tom4Winns

Cadet
1994 3.0L OMC Cobra (Volvo) sterndrive in Four Winns. I've always had a problem removing the drain screw/plug from the port side of the pivot housing on this drive. The manual says it must be removed to drain for winterizing. I've previously had to go to great lengths to get the plug out, took it to a shop to do it, bought special tools, and this year I've managed to get it to the point it will likely need to be drilled out to remove. In searching for answers I have read threads of many people who also go to great lengths and trouble to get this difficult plug out every year. However, I came across an old thread here (https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...31352-vp-sx-cobra-water-drain-plug-questionin) where 'Moderator Emeritus Don S' indicates this screw DOES NOT need to be removed for winterization and that it is just an old carry-over from OMC. Is there anyone out there, with a '93 or newer OMC Cobra, who DOES NOT remove this drain plug and has no problems after a cold northern winter?? Thanks in advance for your reply!

alldodge

Staff member

southkogs

Staff member
Kenny's gonna' be the guy ... I don't know the Cobras well enough to make that call. Plus I live far enough South that "winterizing" is a very relative term :)

kenny nunez

Captain
I must admit that I may have only “winterized” 2-3 boats in my time in the business. As an easier way to drain is like A-D posted by loosening the pump cover bolts.

Tom4Winns

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. With regards to the Crowley Marine link, that appears to be for a pre-1993 or 1994 OMC Cobra, as that refers to 2 drain screws on the starboard side and one on the port side. After 1993 and working with Volvo they only have the single pivot housing drain screw/plug on the port side - and that single screw is the one in question here.

Tom4Winns

Cadet
Volvo/OMC Cobra pivot housing drain screw

1994 3.0L Volvo/OMC Cobra sterndrive in Four Winns. I've always had a problem removing the drain screw/plug from the port side of the pivot housing on this drive. The manual says it must be removed to drain for winterizing. I've previously had to go to great lengths to get the plug out, took it to a shop to do it, bought special tools, and this year I've managed to get it to the point it will likely need to be drilled out to remove. In searching for answers I have read threads of many people who also go to great lengths and trouble to get this difficult plug out every year. However, I came across an old thread here (https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...lug-questionin) where 'Moderator Emeritus Don S' indicates this screw DOES NOT need to be removed for winterization and that it is just an old carry-over from OMC. Is there anyone out there, with a '93 or newer OMC Cobra from the Volvo transitions years, who DOES NOT remove this drain plug and has no problems after a cold northern winter?? Note that pre-1993 OMCs also have two drain screws on the starboard side in addition to this one, and I believe that the water pump is in the drive so those must all be removed for that older design. Thanks in advance for your reply!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you realize you posted this question in 4 different thread

also, your arguing with Kenny who was an OMC / Volvo dealer for 30 years

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
My '95 OMC/Volvo drive drains just by putting the drive down. You can confirm there is no water trapped in the drive by disconnecting the inlet hose to the raw water pump and blowing into it. If you're able to blow water out, then you'll need to use the drain plug in the drive or blow out the hose every year. I suspect the drive will be clear of water though.

Last edited: