1994 Four Winns Horizon 215 5.8L EFI OMC

platinumedge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello to All,

I've been around boats for many decades, have much experience with automobile repairs, and purchased my first boat last week. I have been reading many of the pertinent posts on this website, over the past couple of weeks, and can obviously see that there is much to learn, AND much to be offered here!

I purchased a 1994 Four Winns Horizon 215. It has a 5.8L EFI engine, according to the stickers. It was sitting outside for 3-5 years, on a Four Winns trailer, but completely exposed to the elements (in Maryland). It's actually not in terrible condition: the bow cabin doesn't smell bad, most of the seat cushions/vinyl are in decent shape, the electrical accessories turn on when attached to a power source.

When I attached a battery to it, the accessories came to life, but when I turned the key there was nothing - no clicking, no action. The seller (a previous marina owner, who acquired the boat through some sort of default process) said he has never seen the boat in operation, but had his mechanic manually turn the crankshaft BOTH ways, but just a few degrees. His recommendations were to:
  • Pull the plugs and put several squirts of 10W-30 into each cylinder, then manually turn the crankshaft at least two revolutions in each direction
  • Replace the fuel
  • Replace the water pump impeller
I think these are all sound recommendations. I would ask for further input from our experts??!!

A few questions:
  • The stranded cable in the (manual) winch sheared. Can I just buy new cable? Or do you recommend replacing the entire winch? Where should I go to find the cable, or the winch?
  • How does one drain the fuel from this boat?
  • Do you have recommendations as to which battery type/size? And where to purchase?
  • Where can I purchase a water pump impeller for this engine/outdrive? What specifications are needed to get the correct part?
  • Is there some documentation that describes how the canvas/clear covers go together? There are two tops, 2 clear sides, 1 clear back (multiple pieces), and 2 canvas sides.
  • There is no spare tire/wheel for the trailer. Where do you guys/gals recommend I go to acquire the correct spare? And necessary attachment hardware?
  • For starting testing: Should I connect the battery to the terminals (I have a feeling there may be some wiring issues)? Or directly to the starter solenoid? (I really just want to hear the engine run for a few seconds, right?)
  • Lastly: I would honestly love to hear additional recommendations/comments/inputs/ideas/suggestions as to how to bring this beautiful craft "back to life" and get her running smoothly! :)
I hope to hear back from MANY of you, very soon. And I also hope that someday, I will be in a position to offer advice to newcomers that are in my current situation. (The "circle of life/boats", eh?)

Thanks so very much, in advance.

Cheers,

-- Jeff

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hello to All,

I've been around boats for many decades, have much experience with automobile repairs, and purchased my first boat last week. I have been reading many of the pertinent posts on this website, over the past couple of weeks, and can obviously see that there is much to learn, AND much to be offered here!

I purchased a 1994 Four Winns Horizon 215. It has a 5.8L EFI engine, according to the stickers. It was sitting outside for 3-5 years, on a Four Winns trailer, but completely exposed to the elements (in Maryland). It's actually not in terrible condition: the bow cabin doesn't smell bad, most of the seat cushions/vinyl are in decent shape, the electrical accessories turn on when attached to a power source.

When I attached a battery to it, the accessories came to life, but when I turned the key there was nothing - no clicking, no action. The seller (a previous marina owner, who acquired the boat through some sort of default process) said he has never seen the boat in operation, but had his mechanic manually turn the crankshaft BOTH ways, but just a few degrees. His recommendations were to:
  • Pull the plugs and put several squirts of 10W-30 into each cylinder, then manually turn the crankshaft at least two revolutions in each direction
  • Replace the fuel
  • Replace the water pump impeller
I think these are all sound recommendations. I would ask for further input from our experts??!!

A few questions:
  • The stranded cable in the (manual) winch sheared. Can I just buy new cable? Or do you recommend replacing the entire winch? Where should I go to find the cable, or the winch?
  • How does one drain the fuel from this boat?
  • Do you have recommendations as to which battery type/size? And where to purchase?
  • Where can I purchase a water pump impeller for this engine/outdrive? What specifications are needed to get the correct part?
  • Is there some documentation that describes how the canvas/clear covers go together? There are two tops, 2 clear sides, 1 clear back (multiple pieces), and 2 canvas sides.
  • There is no spare tire/wheel for the trailer. Where do you guys/gals recommend I go to acquire the correct spare? And necessary attachment hardware?
  • For starting testing: Should I connect the battery to the terminals (I have a feeling there may be some wiring issues)? Or directly to the starter solenoid? (I really just want to hear the engine run for a few seconds, right?)
  • Lastly: I would honestly love to hear additional recommendations/comments/inputs/ideas/suggestions as to how to bring this beautiful craft "back to life" and get her running smoothly! :)
I hope to hear back from MANY of you, very soon. And I also hope that someday, I will be in a position to offer advice to newcomers that are in my current situation. (The "circle of life/boats", eh?)

Thanks so very much, in advance.

Cheers,

-- Jeff

welcome aboard

I would have done homework prior to buying an OMC/Ford combination, however what is done is done

regarding your questions:
  • Yes
  • pull the sending unit and use a small siphon pump to remove the sludge from the tank. you will need to clean the tank as well
  • see the manual, however any marine group 27 starting battery shoudl suffice
  • regarding the canvas, check with fourwinns if they have the brochure
  • your local trailer store
  • youi have lots of maintenance and system checking prior to even thinking about starting. like pulling the drive and doing the drive maintenance
  • read the stickies, plenty of step by step for waking a sleeping motor

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome

Bought a boat that is a basket case and you don't know where to get a spare tire, your in trouble

Anything the marina owner said was just enough to sell it to you. When he first got the boat he would have had it checked out, and found that it is nothing but trouble so left it outside unprotected. Moving the crankshaft a few degrees both ways means nothing other then the motor is seized up. Probably going to need a full rebuild

Do pull the plugs and if you find any water, plan on a new long block or rebuild.

The stranded cable in the (manual) winch sheared. Can I just buy new cable? Or do you recommend replacing the entire winch? Where should I go to find the cable, or the winch?

Depends on which winch you have

How does one drain the fuel from this boat?

No draining, it has to be pumped out

Do you have recommendations as to which battery type/size? And where to purchase?

800CCA or larger and prefer AGM but get a cheap battery to start, because this is going to probably cost a lot to get it going

Where can I purchase a water pump impeller for this engine/outdrive? What specifications are needed to get the correct part?

https://www.iboats.com/shop/sierra-...U9UryWc5zBgY9PhRjR2Sj_EdNFytlhLEaArwAEALw_wcB

There is no spare tire/wheel for the trailer. Where do you guys/gals recommend I go to acquire the correct spare? And necessary attachment hardware?

Local tire store

https://www.iboats.com/shop/trailer...at-trailer-spare-tire-carriers-and-locks.html

For starting testing: Should I connect the battery to the terminals (I have a feeling there may be some wiring issues)? Or directly to the starter solenoid? (I really just want to hear the engine run for a few seconds, right?)

Battery gets connected with the battery cables. With nothing happening when the key is turned, you need a voltmeter and start tracing power. Find out where it stops and you may have found the problem

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
And the other question is just which OMC Cobra you have there..if the boats engine package is really a 94 it could be the joint venture OMC/Volvo sx which is a good thing vs the other possibilities. Post up the model # and I could look it up or post a pic of the outdrive...

platinumedge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That's a great question, Lou! I'm just learning that "Cobra" doesn't necessary imply "Ford." Having trouble uploading pics. The HIN is 4WNCM006F394. The outdrive does have a "badge" on the back that says "SX." It sounds like having a Volvo motor is preferable to a Ford (according to Scott D. ;)).

I haven't really opened things up, since I just got the boat and it's been raining for a couple of days (boat is outside for now). My plan is to remove the windshield and put it into my garage for further diagnostic work.

I really appreciate the advice that others have offered! I will reply to them later today.

Cheers,

-- Jeff

platinumedge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Lou,

I'm posting that picture you requested of the outdrive (posting pics works for me now!). As I mentioned in my post last week, it does say "SX" on it. I would like to start work on replacing the impeller/water pump within the outdrive. Do you know if the link to the Sierra water pump listed above (by AllDodge) would be the correct one?

I have begun reading through the Stickies. I tried pulling the plugs today, but discovered a "standard," straight spark plug socket will not get through the header. I presume an articulating socket wrench extension would suffice? Or does one need to get a very special socket wrench in order to pull the plugs on this motor?

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your input last week. It may turn out that I do NOT have a Ford on-board! By Lou's comments, the SX badging means that the engine was made by Volvo. (If I'm understanding everything correctly.)

Anyway, pulled the "main" flooring above the tank today; found a fair amount of rotten, wooden cross-braces, which I will replace later this week, so I can safely walk about. I see what appears to be the sending unit on top. I haven't pulled it yet since I wanted to clean the top of the tank off so crap wouldn't accidentally fall down into it. If I understand your recommendation correctly, I need to remove the sending unit, siphon out the old fuel, pour some sort of cleaner(?) into the tank, maybe stir it or rock the boat, then siphon that out - wash, rinse, repeat. Is that accurate? I was also able to download the Sport Boat Owners Manual from Four Winns' website. Thank you very much for that idea!! (It has limited, but useful information about the weather covers.)

AllDodge,

I do thank you for your input. I realize some criticisms are expected; and I take them to heart, along with the knowledgeable advice. I DO know where to get a spare tire, just thought you guys might have some better (read, cheaper) sources. Also, how are you able to provide that link for the replacement water pump assembly without additional details? The Product Information states that this water pump kit only works for OMC Cobra drives through 1993. I suppose if I pull the pump/impeller, and compare it to the pics, I will be able to make a determination as to whether the recommended kit will work with my outdrive. Again, still trying to learn and understand the engine/outdrive combos.

Thanks to each of you gentlemen for your interest and assistance. Please keep the (gentle) ribbing and assistance coming! :)

Cheers to All,

-- Jeff

Attachments

• photo299575.jpg
    photo299575.jpg
    899 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
The number Lou C is looking for is the drive, but maybe the motor serial number, but will leave that to Lou to verify. You can look up part numbers if the motor number is available

If you have a crankshaft mounted pump, then that would be easier, but my understanding is they didn't do those until 2000

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
If you have a crankshaft mounted pump, then that would be easier, but my understanding is they didn't do those until 2000

Not quite. The SX drive does not have the integral raw water pump. The pump is belted accessory on the engine, lower right side. At least that's how it is on my '95 joint venture OMC/Volvo set up.

alldodge

Staff member
Not quite. The SX drive does not have the integral raw water pump. The pump is belted accessory on the engine, lower right side. At least that's how it is on my '95 joint venture OMC/Volvo set up.

Have anything to help the OP?

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
...I suppose if I pull the pump/impeller, and compare it to the pics, I will be able to make a determination as to whether the recommended kit will work with my outdrive. Again, still trying to learn and understand the engine/outdrive combos.

Assuming he wants to pull the impeller, I figured he'd like to know where the pump is.

alldodge

Staff member
Your having fun commenting on my error, been wrong before and will again, but this is not helping the OP. So have your fun, all good.

Now how about helping the OP identify the parts he needs (post 6)

platinumedge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks, Horigan. I'm sure the impeller will need to be replaced (and possibly gaskets, etc.), since the boat has been sitting for several years. The real question is how to determine which replacement kit to purchase? AllDodge included this link in an earlier post (https://www.iboats.com/shop/sierra-...U9UryWc5zBgY9PhRjR2Sj_EdNFytlhLEaArwAEALw_wcB). Can you tell if this would be the correct kit for my setup? (There is a pic of the outdrive above.) I can try to find the engine serial number this evening.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
platinumedge,

I would go to the link below, select Stern Drive in the Products pull down menu, and drill down to your engine and drive part number, similar to the 50... in my signature. You'll find the impeller part number in the water pump image (last item on the list). If iBoats doesn't sell it, then Google it to find a source.

AllDodge, I'm sorry, but you misunderstand my intent. I'm just trying to share some of the little knowledge I've learned on this site and from my experiences. I too make plenty of errors.

alldodge

Staff member
Look for a pump which looks something like this

fetch

If it does let us know and we should be able to find the replacement impeller

platinumedge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The only number that I can (readily) see on the block is: 915868. However, I did find where the word "Ford" is clearly cast into the block; so at least that question's answered. The badge on the outdrive appears to say, "VOLVO PENTA, SX, COBRA." The whole outdrive appears to have been spray-painted silver, including the badge.

So, does this mean that the outdrive was made by Volvo? And was mated to a Ford engine? I thought OMC was who manufactured the outdrive. But, again, I'm just the new kid on the block, trying to learn what I can.

Upon closer inspection I can definitely see a water pump on the lower left (when looking at the engine from the front) side of the engine; along with an alternator (shredded belt) and the power steering pump. I also pulled the sending unit - the damn thing is almost completely full of fuel - 50 gal. tank. :-( I'm gonna need to siphon and dispose of a lot of fuel! At least the stereo works great! Plenty of tunes while I work away...

Cheers guys!!

southkogs

Staff member
There were a couple of years where Volvo and OMC were working together and so both names got stamped on. It's still considered an OMC, but there's a bit of cross over. Others can tell you more about it (I dunno' too much), but those tend to be the less "socially unacceptable" OMCs.

OMC stern drives can be mated to a Ford or GM block engine, and overall GM is preferred in marine systems. Lotsa' Fords out there running, but the GM blocks tend to be favored. You're probably looking for a tag somewhere on the engine that gives you a number similar to "58FBDPMDA 1994". That would be the OMC model number for the driveline you have.

The boat being a 1994 doesn't necessarily mean you have a 1994 drive system, which is why everyone is trying to figure out exactly what you have to point you in the right direction. Assuming it is a 1994, there is a circulation pump on the engine itself - on the belt just where you saw it. But there is also a raw water pump (impeller) back in the stern drive that essentially pulls water into the system to send up front to cool things. There are a couple of different kits it could be, so getting that model number will help you get the right one.

platinumedge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you kindly, southkogs. That all helps to make sense of the engine/outdrive combo. I will continue to look for the elusive model number, stamped somewhere on the engine block. I ordered the Volvo/Penta Stern Drive repair manual last night, so I'm sure that will help in addressing many of my questions.

Cheers!

southkogs

Staff member
Number is probably not stamped on the engine ... more likely a tag that's mounted. On my (much older) OMC it was starboard side, on the rear motor mount.

alldodge

Staff member
Was hoping the OMC folks here would help out. I can find things with a number or a pic. There are several here that should know, but not hearing much. If its one like this then it would be like a jabsco

Post a pic

url
Click image for larger version  Name:	br1300.jpg Views:	1 Size:	9.5 KB ID:	10644387

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
It looks clearly like the joint venture product built between 1994-1998 where Volvo and OMC redesigned the original Cobra to cone clutch shifting .So at the time the product sold by both OMC and Volvo was basically the same; even most of the part #s were the same and used the OMC numbering system. The only thing a bit off is the transom mount says OMC and the drive says SX but on the OMC labeled version it would say OMC Cobra. Color wise the OMC was a dark charcoal and the Volvo was silver. Both engines were the charcoal color. It does not matter because the engine & drive packages were identical. The drive you can get parts for as it’s a Volvo and the sone of the engine stuff is still available because Volvo continued to use Ford marine engines even after OMC got out of the stern drive business (and sold their share of the joint venture to Volvo). So the main issue is if you need hard to find Ford marine engine parts (ie, electronic ignition and fuel injection stuff).
The OMC model # usually was on a light grey sticker that said “OMC Drive Systems, Waukegan, Ill”, and it starts with a # that reflects the engine displacement , ie 58......sticker could be on a valve cover or on the thermostat housing.
you can use that to look up parts but sometimes if the OMC part is unavailable it might be available from VP. The trick is figuring out the corresponding VP model mumber....