Humber Jewel Rig Outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgsolakis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm looking at a few options for power for my Humber Jewel. It's 11'6" long with a 6.5' beam. The boat weighs about 450lbs. I am considering a few engines. I was hoping people could weigh in with their 2 cents. The boat came with a 75 hp Johnson Stinger but it's a long shaft and I would have to convert it to a short shaft. Another option would be a 60 hp Evinrude 2 cyl short shaft. How much pop would that motor have? The third player is the classic 50 hp Mercury 4 cyl. What do you guys think.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Humber Jewel Rig Outboard

I would stay with the stinger and get a lift bracket to compensate for the shaft length. It will be faster and easier to buy/or home brew a bracket to raise the motor then trying to find a short shaft conversion.

gbrowne9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if the 60 is a 1982-83 or newer i would run it .crank rated v prop rated and you won,t have to modify the transom.the 60 will probably go further on a gallon of gas.

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Jewel has a 20" transom- That's a long shaft. A short (15") shaft outboard won't work. My old Jewel had an OMC 55 hp, mounted with a home made 6" setback plate. Thinking back- (this was almost 40 years ago)- the 6" setback was too much, I had to trim the outboard waaay up to keep the bow out of the water. CMC makes a 2 1/2" setback plate, I would use this to mount the Stinger. If you find after testing the setup that the ride is still a bit hairy, you can add another 2 1/2" setback (these are "stackable").
BTW, if anyone wants to start building Jewels, the molds and licence are for sale.

Last edited:

mgsolakis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Your right Bilge Rat I looked it up and it says it does have a 20" transom. However the Long Shaft seems to hang down so low below the boat. So you reccomend using the long shaft with a set back? How does the set back help and exactly where should I mount the motor?

Last edited:

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your right Bilge Rat I looked it up and it says it does have a 20" transom. However the Long Shaft seems to hang down so low below the boat. So you reccomend using the long shaft with a set back? How does the set back help and exactly where should I mount the motor?

It would be better if we could see your current set-up- any chance you could post a cupla photos? Straight on, level shots from the aft and side would be best. Also, the model# from the outboard.

Set back plates (of course) move the outboard further back from the transom, 1- gets the gearcase and prop further from "disturbed" water coming off the bottom, which helps to increase efficiency, 2- gives the boat added stability when running at speed.

Last edited:

Humber70

Recruit
I see this is an old thread hope it is still active. I am purchasing a 1970 Humber Jewel. It currently has a 40hp Mercury on it and takes a lot to get on plane. Where can I find out information on this boat? length, weight, Preferred HP.. will a 50 be good or do I need to go to a 60?

Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I see this is an old thread hope it is still active. I am purchasing a 1970 Humber Jewel. It currently has a 40hp Mercury on it and takes a lot to get on plane. Where can I find out information on this boat? length, weight, Preferred HP.. will a 50 be good or do I need to go to a 60?

Thanks

This thread is dead. It's best to start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.