Clamp Screw removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clamp Screw removal

Ok, I feel really stupid even having to ask this question but.....I need to replace the clamp screws that hold the motor to the transom and can't figure out how to get them all the way out. I thought that maybe I just had to remove the little swivel handle on the end and just continue to screw/rotate it all the way through. But no matter which way I rotate it it seems like the very end (on both ends) is flared just enough to prevent it from going any farther. I've cranked pretty hard thinking it just needed a little "persuasion" but no go. I don't want to ruin the threads either. So, what's the trick? Thanks

-B-
    1960 Evinrude 10hp Sportwin Model 10020

Re: Clamp Screw removal

Havk saw. Worked for me and I went back with s/s bolts.
    When goals have no clear focus, neither will the actions of the people trying to achieve them

Comment

Ok, if I use a hack saw to get them out/off then how will I be able to screw the new ones in? Won't they be flared as well? Also, did your round swivel plates that seat up against the transom fit correctly on the end of your S/S bolts?

-B-

Comment

Anyone else have any input? I wouldn't mind hack sawing it off but that still doesn't answer how I'd get a new replacement one in. Hmmm..

Comment

Bolts don't come flared. A s/s washer between the bolt and transom will replace the "round swivel plates". Have spare s/s washers on hand if you remove and replace the engine frequently. Is your avatar you? A location would be nice too.
          When goals have no clear focus, neither will the actions of the people trying to achieve them

Comment

Thanks again for your input. Yes, that's me in the avatar. I'll add that info. after I post this. I'm up in Washington State.

-B-

Comment

When you are making your own clamp screws, you cut the last few threads of the bolt down to the size of the hole in the washer and about 1/8" longer than the thickness of the washer. Run the bolts into and through the clamp, install the washer, (cup side facing the transom) on the newly created tit on the end of the bolt and peen the end of the bolt to hold the washer on.

You can remove the old ones with a dremel tool grinder to clean away the peened material and pull the washer off.

Gerry
              Last edited by carholme; July 17th, 2013, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the details Gerry. Much appreciated.

-B-

Comment

Working...
                X