MERC 115 Tower of Power?? Any cons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, i have been looking for a used outboard for cheap.. Im doing a budget resto on an older ski boat.
Anyhow, i currently have an 85 evinrude on it, but most people with these boats love running the merc 115 tower of power.
I found one used (1975??) on a boat nearby and the guy has it for sale cheap. Im going to try and go look at it tomorrow, but my question is.
I DONT HAVE A COMPRESSION TESTER, and was wanting to know of anything that is "known" to be an easy problem found with them? Something that i could tell just by looking at it? I plan on bringing a charged battery to see if it cranks at all....
Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: MERC 115 Tower of Power?? Any cons?

You cannot tell the health of an engine (ANY engine) by looking at it. The best test is an on water test where it is actually pushing a boat. Failing that, a test on muffs to at least ensure it runs is required. Failing that you need to pull the plugs and at least look in each hole to see if all pistons are intact (no holes), ensure the engine can be turned over and that it has compression. If you cannot do any of these things, you best buy it dirt cheap as you may be buying a chunk of aluminum with little salvage value. There is generally a reason why something is cheap.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The inline Mercs with multiple carbs were noted for self destruction due to lack of lubrication to one or more of the cylinders. Based on past experience the early to mid 1970's vintage models were the worst Mers ever made. One of my friends went thru several powerheads - always the top cylinder grenaded.

If it were me I wouldn't even bother to look at it unless I took my compression tester. I bought one at Harbor Freight for 20 bucks.

When I redid my old boat, I went the other way. I replaced a tower with an OMC. The older V-4 Evinrudes seem to last forever.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, i kind of bailed on the guy today. He really wanted to sell the whole boat, and told me the boat was falling apart. Also, the motor wouldnt start according to him? He said it had no spark, i asked if it turned over at all and he just kept repeating himself. I really think he had no idea about boats at all and there was a language barrier.....
Anyhow, after i found out that those year motors were only 90hp, i really got turned off as i have an 85 evinrude right now. I dont know, maybe ill save a bit more and keep my eyes out for something else... I could always change my mind and go take a peek at it anyhow....

jbjennings

Captain

The tower of power is a good-looking motor, and is fast, and sounds good. The motor you own is a reliable motor, makes good power, and far easier to work on. If you get the evinrude fixed right, it will almost surely go longer between wrenches than the mercury.
I've heard it said that the mercurys are the motors you want to date, and evinrudes are the motors you want to marry.
JMO,
JBJ

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for that info... I guess you can consider us married as she lives here now! But, im pretty new to outboards, and thats the least of my worries for the time being. Hopefully in the spring i shouldnt have much trouble getting her fired up and going good. It will be enough for me, and getting used to the boat and the waters here for a while.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Back in the 1950's, Mercs got the reputation nof being the fastest motors out there. And they were, legitimately or not. That's why people "love to run them".

I have 4 Mercs - all beautiful and in mint condition....hanging on my boathouse walls. Three of my 4 boats have Evinrudes hanging on the back!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

JimS and some others have made some unsubstantiated statements, describing the Merc TOP in the negative. A merc inline six is one of the best motors ever made. It has very high power-to-weight ratio, and will run rings around that Evinrude. Like all outboards it requires clean fuel and carbs, as well as adequate cooling water.

Now that particluar vintage Merc has some expensive ign parts, which makes it unattractive, and the wiring harnesses rot out at that advanced age, however, the basic engine design is quite superior to the evinrudes of the same vintage.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hear what your saying chris~
But my main goal of this thread was to find out if it was really worth it for me to even LOOK at it, and if so~what to look for.

Ive got a 1972 18SS Sidewinder.. All (well most) the sidewinder guys LOVE that motor.. TOP, Tower of Power, yadayadayada~ But even asking them they also stated what you did... That year of that motor is not that sought after due to its lack of power and wiring problems...

So, all in all~ im not saying that i wouldnt or wont buy a merc TOP. I love the way they look, I love the way they sound. BUT, at the moment its best if i hold out and wait for something else.

I dont think those guys were saying that MERCS are junk.. I think it was more along the lines of telling me as a new outboard guy, that i should just stick with the 1971 85hp evinrude that i have for the time being as i have better luck with having it running and performing OK vs the possibility of the problems that can come along with THAT particular MERC. Of course im sure the Merc would outperform the evinrude, BUT not if its not working and ends up costing me as much as it would for me to save the jack and get a better motor at a later time...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

JimS and some others have made some unsubstantiated statements, describing the Merc TOP in the negative. A merc inline six is one of the best motors ever made. It has very high power-to-weight ratio, and will run rings around that Evinrude. Like all outboards it requires clean fuel and carbs, as well as adequate cooling water.

Now that particluar vintage Merc has some expensive ign parts, which makes it unattractive, and the wiring harnesses rot out at that advanced age, however, the basic engine design is quite superior to the evinrudes of the same vintage.

Unsubstantiated?....yes for sure. I can't cite you references, names of old acquaintences, or dates. But I've been a boater since the 1950's and I've known a lot of boaters and seen a lot of boats get towed and engines get trashed.

I already said that the Mercs run faster and are preferred by those who only want to go fast with no other considerations. Most Merc guys are tinkerers anyway, so its probably no consequence to them that they HAVE to tinker so much. The fact of the matter is that the vintage Evinrudes (and others) simply run better, run longer and are easier to fix when they do break down.

The Mercs WON'T run rings around an Evinrude, they will just run faster (when they run....LOL.) But of course, there is a reason for that too!

(PS - all 21st century motors are exempt from this discussion)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee Jim, Do you have any analysis for yor quote:

I already said that the Mercs run faster and are preferred by those who only want to go fast with no other considerations. Most Merc guys are tinkerers anyway, so its probably no consequence to them that they HAVE to tinker so much. The fact of the matter is that the vintage Evinrudes (and others) simply run better, run longer and are easier to fix when they do break down.

Or is it more unsubstantiated statements?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

This is a classic "Ford vs. Chevy" debate. There are no winners and there are no losers. All we can do is relate our own experiences, either from owning things personally, or observing our friends experiences.

The OP asked for an opinion and I gave him mine. Very seldom, if ever, does anyone advise a boater to get rid of his OMC and buy a classic Merc.

How do you "substantiate" an opinion? My best advice would be to go to a professional that is in the business of working on old motors and see what he has to say.

JBow

Seaman Apprentice

Hey if you dont want that old merc inline I would be interested in it. I wouldn't even think of running anything else on a vintage boat and would buy everyone I can get my hands on if they are cheap enough. They part out really well with distributors bringing nearly 200 bucks , lower units bring about 250 bucks, carbs , cowls, face plates, all sell very well from them. Plus nothing runs or sounds like one. Did I mention I kinda like them too? I would be willing to drive a couple hundred miles for one if the price is "right".

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Once owned a 115 inline six Merc and having it inspected by a mecanic was mandatory prior to dishing out the cash $$. Once approved it turned out to be a workhorse on a 20 footer fiber. Only negative note = I found it to be louder that the 4 cyl 85 hp Johnson and the 90 hp Chryler I owned before that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.