will not fogging your outboard really hurt it?

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: will not fogging your outboard really hurt it?

Being we have a shorter winter season in my area and the motor is not setting up for 5 or 6 months i just shoot a little fogging oil in each spark plug hole and never had a problem on spring start up.
Come spring i fire it up on the muffs for a few minutes then put in fresh spark plugs...good to go.

Shooting it in the spark plug holes is pointless in my opinion, it doesn't end up on the cylinder walls at all, even if you turn the flywheel by hand a few times, and if you've just run fogging oil through the engine, that will coat the cylinder walls more than spraying anything in the spark plug holes.

As has been mentioned, fogging has nothing to do with winter or cold for that matter. It's solely for storage, lack of running, in any climate.

I don't understand why some people wouldn't fog for storage, the can costs like $7 and the process takes about 30 seconds to complete, it's not like this is a hard process that is bothersom, and the can can last up to 3 seasons, so your looking at like $2.33 per season to fog, where is the hassle, what's gained by not doing it??

My engines don't start up any different or harder in the Spring after sitting all winter with fogging oil in them, than they do in the summer if they've been run the day before. They crank right up on the first crank after being loaded with fogging oil for 4 months.

Take some 50:1 mixed fuel and dump it in a jar, even just an ounce of it, then dump that in your hand and ask yourself if that is what you want protecting your engine internals for months on end, or if spending $2.33 and 30 seconds is worth it.

Anybody ever seen 2 stroke leak out of your engine onto the deck of your boat when the engine's been tilted up all week after running? How well do you think it's sticking to the internals then?