1975 17 'wellcraft center console max HP rating??????

chrisross

Cadet
Does anyone know the maximum hp rating for my 1975 16"8' Wellcraft center console? Any other info about this boat would be helpful. THanks

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 17 'wellcraft center console max HP rating??????

For a boat that old it depends more on the thickness and current condition of your transom and the weight of the motor you want to use than the original hp rating for the boat which would have assumed a solid transom and hp/weight ratios from circa 1975 motors. Plus are you talking about a 2 stroke or 4 stroke motor? Big weight difference.<br /><br />I have a 1967 deep v 16 foot fiberglass boat with a 3/4 inch transom which is pretty well the minimum thickness. The builder is still around and basically told me it never had a hp rating. He figured I could put anything I could fit on it if the transom was solid, but if it was soft from rot over the years it should stay under 100hp. I took a good look at the transom and stayed well under 100hp, but I've seen the same boat with a 150 on the back apparently none the worse for it but obviously way too big for the boat from the way the boat trimmed.<br /><br />You don't say what kind of hull your boat has but if it's a 17 foot deep v and had a thick transom to begin with I wouldn't worry up to about a 120hp on a newer motor unless the transom is soft. If that's not the case, basically I'd use your judgment. You should be safe if you stay under 100hp. <br />SJ