Transom support plate?

2cycle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Transom support plate?

Re: Transom saver, what I did on my 30 year old boat was go to the local Home Improvement store and by some lightweight, perforated steel tubing (about 1.5" x 1.5" X 1.5 " X 1.5")and then cut it to use as a support. I just cut 2 sections to run parallel across the top motor mounts and then one for the bottom mounts. I had to get longer bolts to stretch through the tubing and tighten up. My transom had a good bit of flex but this really tightened it up, even if it will not win any beauty contests. I think I may have spent $15.00 in all.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The CAST aluminum will resist bending, and is light weight.

ZmOz

Captain

I just went out and took a look in my boat...what about just using a peice of 2x4? I would have to use longer bolts of course....

Mettaree

Petty Officer 1st Class

3/8" aluminum bar stock 2" wide cut to necessary length works just fine. Fairly cheap too. Wipe down with vinegar and paint/clear coat.<br /><br /> :)

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think the one you are looking at goes inside the transom the top motor mount (bolts-clamps) go through it, they also make one that goes outside the transom and all four bolts go through it. hope this helps-both are easy to make with 1/4" alum. plate.

ZmOz

Captain

So what do you guys think about just using a peice of 2x4 on the inside?

Mettaree

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wood has a tendency to give. Metal is best. Conposite board is next ( poly-type ) Expensive tho.<br /><br /> :)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

My 16 foot speedoat has a piece of 3/8 aluminum plate covering the entire transom. The toughness of this plate has given me piece of mind at high speeds. I guess I still fear that the entire transom could rip out. I have no idea what this would cost (was installed by previous owner), but if you could find the aluminum stock, it can be cut by a metal blade in a skilsaw. Mine is bolted on in about ten places with 3/8 SS bolts and locknuts.

LubeDude

Admiral

ZMOZ: Say, how ya doing, I saw ya get some bum advice on the BITOG forum from Blano. And dont run the 100:1 oil at 50:1, 80:1 is more than enough.