Hertz fonction on multimeter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hertz fonction on multimeter

I made this device for testing voltage on outboard ignition system.

Like in this vidéo ( in french) , i can mesure whit my DVA the stator , triggers and Switchbox voltage on my driveway or on the lake. This is for troubleshooting purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=BErZyDhmjzo

Do you think i can use the htz fonction on my multimeter, to compare the reading of the different cylinders in the coils primaries ?

Whit my DVA i can mesure the voltage at the primary of each coil , , but i also whant to compare the number of ignition in the primary of each coi, l to ensure they receive the same a their primaries…..

In the vieo, as you can see the no 2 clylinder receive less voltage than the 2 others, but i whant to mesure the number of ignition for each, like an tachometer

Sorry for the bad English , i tri to explain the best i can …...
    Last edited by GA_Boater; October 6th, 2019, 10:14 PM.

You can measure the worth of the primary and secondary coil with the ohms setting. If that’s what you mean.

Comment

Ohms is a resistance test , static….i whant a Dynamic test to compare the number of impulsion the switch box send to each coil when the engine running…

I tried yesterday the Hertz position of my multimeter , and that work. Just to remove mi DVA adaptor and plus my meter directly. one hertz is = to 60 rpm

Comment

Originally posted by Sylva-Ranger View Post
        Ohms is a resistance test , static….i whant a Dynamic test to compare the number of impulsion the switch box send to each coil when the engine running…

I tried yesterday the Hertz position of my multimeter , and that work. Just to remove mi DVA adaptor and plus my meter directly. one hertz is = to 60 rpm
        About the Hz...not sure that’s a definitive rule for all really.

Comment

In North America your household electrical supply is 60 hertz.-----Or 60 cycles / second.

Comment

Originally posted by racerone View Post
            In North America your household electrical supply is 60 hertz.-----Or 60 cycles / second.
            Very true racerone.... Not sure how the fella above relates that to rpm across the spectrum though ?
            50 hz here in the U.K., but doesn’t mean 1 hz is 50 rpm on my boat engine...haha.

Comment

I don’t think frequency setting on a multimeter will read what you’re trying to read. If I’m understanding you, I think you want to connect a tachometer to each plug wire to see if they all read the same????? Maybe? These other guys may be able to answer if that would work or not.
              M. Primeaux
              Central Louisiana
              1957 Fleetform Custom Runabout, 1963 Mercury 650
              '57 Fleetform: ​​​​​​https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...om-restoration
              '63 Mercury 650: https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...50-restoration

Comment

First your wright i made mistake when i say one hertz + 60 rpm i mean one hertz , but for what i'm trie to read the value is not very important, it just for comparing .

And is seem possible to convert Hertz to rpm but i agree i dont check that.

https://www.convertunits.com/from/RPM/to/hertz
                Last edited by Sylva-Ranger; October 30th, 2019, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Youre wright M Primeaux, i whant to see if all cylinders reed the same. When i try whit a Tiny-Tach type tachometer, sometime the reading have tendency to be afecting by the next cylinder (s) .
                  Last edited by Sylva-Ranger; October 30th, 2019, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylva-Ranger View Post
                    Youre wright M Primeaux, i whant to see if all cylinders reed the same. When i try whit a Tiny-Tach type tachometer, sometime the reading have tendency to be afecting by the next cylinder (s) .
                    Hi there.

where have you got the tiny tach wires attached ?
                    I had a similar issue on the old jet ski. Very sensitive to where the wires are coiled. Different locations too, depending on 4 stroke or 2 stroke and the location of any coil or coil packs. Can be a bugger to set up but very accurate once done. Is there a earth wire off it too or just the pick up wire ?

Comment

For shop use, now i solved the problem by adding an old inductive clamp (from an old timing-lite) to my Tiny-Tack.

My Tiny-Tack dont have a earth wire, just the pick-up wire.

Comment

Working...
                      X