1972 johnson evenrude selectric shift winterization

S. S. Lanier

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

This will be our first time to winterize our motor. I've read quite a few threads and believe I have the basics of it, but I'm wondering if there's anything I'm missing. Is there anything else I need to do other than:

​​​1) add stabilizer to fuel and run it through the motor for around 10 minutes with muffs on
2) spray fogging oil in carburetor till engine stalls
3) remove spark plugs and spray fogging oil, replace and turn flywheel
4) drain and replace lower gear unit oil (I believe there's a specific oil I need to use?) type C?

Thank you for any help you can give.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
No need to do #3 there is already plenty of oil in there from #2

Regarding the Type C. BRP markets it as Precision Blend. Some 3rd Party Oils that claim to be Type C are not compatible with the Hydro-Electric Shift, so beware.
When doing the gear oil, use new gaskets on the drain/vent screws. They are inexpensive and reusing the old ones are the cause of many 'Water in the Oil' incidents.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is it the 2 cylinder , 3 or 4 cylinder motor ?.----I heard that it might be a good idea to remove the amplifier and store it in a warm place if a 4 cylinder.------Hearsay or fact I do not know.----Costs nothing.----Any sign of water in the lower unit means a seal kit is needed.------And if seals in the gearcase are known to be original , a seal kit is a good idea in my opinion.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Powerpacks for the 3 cylinder motors are ----" dime a dozen " in my area.--------No need to remove it for storage.----The 4 cylinder " amplifier " is a different story.