25hp evenrude on a 14' boat. How many GPH?

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
14' alumacraft with about 550lbs people/battery/trolling motor. no hydrofoil.

I had it out for the first time last week and fuel usage seemed excessive.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I had a similar boat. My 2009 'Rude used about 3.0 gal at cruising speed. My 1952 uses about 6 gallons. Both are 2-strokes. Optimum cruising speed is at about 3/4 throttle.

You need to be more specific - year?, E-Tec?, WOT?, etc.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
How about posting max rpm achieved as loaded on flat calm water cond ? WOT rpm is all, MPH is secondary..

Happy Boating

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
2 3/4 gal/hr would be what i would expect one of those engines to consume at WOT. If planing, the throttle could be pulled back a bit, and the consumption would drop to about 2 gal/hour, maybe a bit less

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Not really looking for an exact GPH figure, just ballpark.

I understand perfectly. Its a lot of trouble to get real data when others already have the answer.

To answer your question, anything above 3.52 gallons per hour would indicate excessive fuel consumption. In any event, running at WOT for extended periods with improper settings would certainly damage the engine. For a little boat like yours, you should at least get 28.5 mph, which would indicate that your motor already has a problem, so that may be the cause for your excessive fuel consumption.

Check the Evinrude database to verify that your propeller pitch is correct for your boat / motor combination. If the pitch is wrong, that may be the root cause.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I also thought his top speed was low... I get 24.5 mph with my 1994 25 hp merc on a heavy 16 foot fiberglass boat with 3 batteries a 6hp kicker and an old heavy bow mount minn kota... Plus I carry 12 gallons of fuel..