Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motor mount bolting pattern compatibility?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor mount bolting pattern compatibility?

I’m planning both a transom rebuild AND a re-power.
    Im concerned with remounting my original motor (Merc 650), followed shortly with a swap to a 70hp OMC. Both are mid 70’s.

Does anyone know if Merc and OMC have a similar mounting pattern? Or will I have to seal and fill and re-drill new holes?

thanks in advance

the patterns became universal in the mid 80's so you will be drilling new holes
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Why not put the OMC on and avoid the hassle?
      BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
      Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
      That is what the forums are for.
      Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

ThisThanks guys. I was hoping to fit in the new transom before fishing season opener and re-hang the merc until the OMC is ready. The transom is soft and makes me nervous but I used it successfully all last year, so I may just wait until summer when the fishing gets tough.
        And I guess this way I can do a wet test when selling the Merc. should the buyer want to try it

Comment

If the transom is soft, and flexing, it is weakening either the Aluminum skin, or in the case of Fiberglass, breaking the threads of glass that make up the Mat, Cloth, Rowing.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmbo View Post
            If the transom is soft, and flexing, it is weakening either the Aluminum skin, or in the case of Fiberglass, breaking the threads of glass that make up the Mat, Cloth, Rowing.
            Well that’s definitely a little concerning and very good to know. Aluminum boat, which I’m a lot more confident in than fibreglass
            Unfortunately I won’t have enough time to get it completed at this point. So I have to weigh out taking my chances or missing the opener.

Comment

Working...
            X