How much performance will I lose? 150 vs 200

cwestTX

Cadet
I have a 1998 Sprint 207 Fish & Ski 20.5 ft That came factory with a 200 Johnson Venom. The powerhead is blown. Found a great deal on a 2000 Johnson 150 Ocean Pro thats never been is Saltwater. It spent its life on Lake Travis in TX. My boat is rated for a max of 225. I would like to have my speed around 60 min. Currently pre powerhead failure with the 200 and a 24 pitch raker I could run around 71-73 mph. Will the 150 be able to get it to the 60s with the right prop? I did find a used power head thats got 95-105 PSI that i can have installed for around the same price of the 150. Need help making the choice
Thanks yall

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
generally stay to 75% or more of hull rating

not sure you would see 60mph with the 150. you would have to buy it, install it, and then play with props, etc.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Will depend entirely on how loaded you plan going boating with, if lightly loaded motor is healthy and well propped to run middle of its wot rpm range would be possible. But only a water run will confirm..

Happy Boating

cwestTX

Cadet
Decided to just go with the used powerhead. Found a local shop that will install the loaded powerhead for $100/hr. plus parts. Hes been in buiness 43 years. He said it would take him 4-5 hours to install the loaded power head. Does that seem pretty fair? I normally do most things myself but Ive never done a powerhead

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Found a local shop that will install the loaded powerhead for $100/hr. plus parts. He said it would take him 4-5 hours to install the loaded power head. Does that seem pretty fair?
Depends on how much a fully loaded power head cost you.

Locally, you can pickup a 200-225 HP 2 stokes for next to nothing.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I would expect about a 10 mph drop in speed, if the setup on the hull of both engines were the same.

cwestTX

Cadet
Picked up a loaded 200 powerhead for $700+ $150 shipping to TX. All cylinders between 100-105 psi. with the carbs having a "recent" rebuild.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I have yet to own a boat with too much power, you made the right choice fixing the 200 vs dropping hp.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have yet to own a boat with too much power

offtopic here but it can happen ! a friend who is a speed freak bolted a 250hp mercury optimax to a 16ft bowrider and its too much !

the engine is very heavy for this boat and it sits pretty low with the stern in the water.

gunning the engine is not possible since it probably would push the stern under water and sink the boat .
carefully building up speed it gets so fast the boat looses any stability and chainwalks .

that thing is no fun at all.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
offtopic here but it can happen ! a friend who is a speed freak bolted a 250hp mercury optimax to a 16ft bowrider and its too much !

the engine is very heavy for this boat and it sits pretty low with the stern in the water.

gunning the engine is not possible since it probably would push the stern under water and sink the boat .
carefully building up speed it gets so fast the boat looses any stability and chainwalks .

that thing is no fun at all.

i think our "definitions" of fun vary greatly lol