Additional Items for Kicker motor with Mercury Verado 4 Stroke

Dave Ki

Recruit
Sorry for cross-post. I put the original in wrong category..

I am confused about what additional items are needed for a kicker motor. I am interested in a 9.9 EXLPT Pro CT (25-inch shaft). Boat is 2018 Crestliner 1950 WT, with Mercury Verado 4 Stroke main engine.

One dealer says I need a Hydraulic steering kit because the Verado requires hydraulic steering (along with the controller).

A second dealer said he would attach a “rocker arm” to the main engine, I believe that means not doing the hydraulic kit.

There is a difference in price of about $1,300 for the hydraulic option, but I am not sure what the benefits of hydraulic over rocker arm would be. Could someone help me understand the options? How difficult is it to install it all myself? Are there any step-by-step instructions / videos to install it?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Do you already have the boat or looking at buying it?

If you own it, it would have hydraulic steering if it's required.

The dealer is taking about a tie bar to connect the main motor to the kicker, not a rocker.

The tie bar is above the red line;

tiebar.PNG

Dave Ki

Recruit
I have put a down payment on it, awaiting some options. So, the kicker also needs hydraulic if the main engine has it? Thanks for the clarification on the tie bar vs. rocker. It sounds like I need both the tie bar and the hydraulic kit?

Thanks for the reply! 2018 Crestliner VT17 and 1950 Fish Hawk WT 2017-08-17 013.JPG

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If the Verado needs hydraulic steering, the dealer will only sell it to you that way. I think this Crestliner model has standard hydraulic steering anyway.

The kicker only needs a tie bar.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Been there, done that,....many times. All you need is a tie bar. You can buy one for $150+ or you can make one yourself for 10 bucks.

The dealer is trying to sell you an un-needed expense.

The Verado and the kicker both have pre-drilled holes in the handle, and / or the steering fitting. Buy a pair of 5/16" QD fittings (quick detachable). Then buy a 3' piece of SS 5/16" threaded rod (fine thread). Install the fittings, measure the rod, cut it off at the proper length and you're ready to go. I always buy a length of 5/16" ID poly tubing to cover the rod to make the whole package user friendly.

Dave Ki

Recruit
Thank you both very much for the information! I am thinking I will try the installation myself.

JimS123 - I was able to find everything online except I don't find the "pair of 5/16" QD fittings (quick detachable)". Can you show me an example please?
Thank you again for your help!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Thank you both very much for the information! I am thinking I will try the installation myself.

JimS123 - I was able to find everything online except I don't find the "pair of 5/16" QD fittings (quick detachable)". Can you show me an example please?
Thank you again for your help!

IBoats sells them right here. You need to google "ball joints".

https://www.iboats.com/shop/seastar-...all-joint.html

Here's my Whaler's setup - the pic does not show great detail, but you should be able to get the idea. In this case, both motors were on the same level. My Searay has quite a bit of difference, so the rod had to bent twice to make a "s" curve. I don't have a pic yet.

P6090016web.jpg

Last edited: