Best way to mount a kicker motor?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Most of the boats I have had over the years, I have had an electric trolling motor, but I how have a 16 foot Starcraft SS and I am thinking about mounting my 9.8 Mercury on it for trolling, I have no experience in mounting a second motor on the back of a boat, is a bracket the best way to go? Most of the brackets look like they allow you to lift the kicker up when you are not using it. The Mercury is a tiller steer, so I would imagine you just sit on the edge of the splash well and use the tiller to steer is as I am not interested in converting it over with any controls.

So is a bracket the best way to do this?

Thanks.

82rude

Rear Admiral
What size is the main motor?I would imagine a bracket is the most common way to mount a kicker.Now with that being said I have a ss160 also with a 60 etec and I simply mount my 6 hp Johnson 2 stroke beside it on the transom.

30364919588_1bddf439fa_c.jpg
30364919588_ebee7e64d1_k.jpg

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Thank you,

I see you have it just mounted to the transom, with no bracket, which I was hoping to do, I would like to do this with the least amount of drama in my life as possible. I don't see any bolts on your kicker, you just used the clamps to put it on?

Again, thanks, you pictures answer a good amount of questions I had.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Yes I just clamped it on and when I use it I use the main motor as a rudder so I steer from the seat not the back.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The best way is to mount it directly on the transom. Second best is a fixed bracket if there is no room on the transom or its an I/O. Third best is a retractable bracket.

I ALWAYS bolt the kicker on as well, with a SS bolt and wing nut. If the motor doesn't have mounting holes, I drill a couple, or simply use a u-bolt in an appropriate place.

Its all easy peasy.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
By the way the main right now is a 50 and I am hoping to put a 75 on it very soon.

82rude

Rear Admiral
All you got to make sure of is clearance.What kind of 75 are you putting on?That combo of mine does not leave much room for play .The 60 is a fairly narrow motor compared to maybe some fat 4 strokes.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
All you got to make sure of is clearance.What kind of 75 are you putting on?That combo of mine does not leave much room for play .The 60 is a fairly narrow motor compared to maybe some fat 4 strokes.

I would like to find a 75 Mercury because it is an inline I was talking with a guy last week that had an 85 Merc and it was an inline, I have looked at a couple of evinrude/johnsons that are V-4 and they are fat.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Makes sense for your set up as you would be all merc,though it is easy to have different brands with all the same fittings.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Makes sense for your set up as you would be all merc,though it is easy to have different brands with all the same fittings.

My 9.8 already has Evinrude fittings on it, I don't worry about the fittings they are easy to change for the application I am using.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
[h=2]Best way to mount a kicker[/h]

ply with alcohol. Use a stantion and 2 dock lines. Oh. Wait, wrong forum.