Never winterized outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
So this season is the first time I've had my outboard somewhere where it gets cold. It never really got that colds most of this winter so I didn't winterize it but late February and most of this month it's been getting pretty cold. I'm wondering how screwed I will be next month when I try to start it.

also the last time I used it it died on me in the middle of the lake, I could get it to idle for a few seconds but every time I would try and give it gas the engine would bog out and die.
so I added some sta-bil to the gas tank and tried running it like that for about 20 minutes before somebody showed up to tow me

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
So this season is the first time I've had my outboard somewhere where it gets cold. It never really got that colds most of this winter so I didn't winterize it but late February and most of this month it's been getting pretty cold. I'm wondering how screwed I will be next month when I try to start it.

also the last time I used it it died on me in the middle of the lake, I could get it to idle for a few seconds but every time I would try and give it gas the engine would bog out and die.
so I added some sta-bil to the gas tank and tried running it like that for about 20 minutes before somebody showed up to tow me

You will be very screwed next month when you try to start it.
It had a problem when you put it away, and the problem is still there.

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
Well I know the previous problem wasn't just going to go away I pretty much just mentioned that for the fact that there was sta-bil in the gas tank while I was trying to get it to run before I parked it for the winter. I want to know what kind of damage could not winterizing it have done if any and what I may need to plan on doing before taking it out next month

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Winterization is not a problem to worry about. Other than draining the gas or running the gas out of the carb bowls, there isn't much else to do.

The problem is, as Roscoe said, is putting it up knowing there is a problem to fix this Spring.

If the weather is good enough to start working on it, you should start another thread in the section for your motor.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
(EDIT: GA beat me to it while I was typing.. Odds are, you're good outside of the issues you already experienced... sigh...)

Hmmm...

Let me start by saying I'm not a pro with outboards.
Quite new actually, and learning as I go.
I too live in an area where I have to winterize, so from day 1 I tried to learn about it.

The following are some thoughts and is most likely not all inclusive.
Simply how I understand things at this time.. :D

I agree with roscoe in that the issue you had last year before you put it away is still there and will need to be dealt with.
No matter what, you'll have to start the season by troubleshooting and diagnosing that issue.

In regards to winterizing or not... It sounds like you're asking how much additional damage can you expect.
Is that right?

With that in mind:
When you put it away, was the engine tilted up (like when on trailer) or was it down as if on a lake?
Putting it down lets any water drain out of power-head through leg to exhaust etc.. . If left tilted up, any water that remained in the engine may have frozen and could have caused an issue.

Did you drain and refill gearcase?
If not, then IF there was any water in the gearcase, it too could have frozen and cracked the lower unit.

Other items would be possible gummed up carbs, but with the issues it already had, you may end up rebuilding them anyway, so maybe not so bad without winterizing..

I've seen some posts from folks who never winterize and don't have issues.
I've seen some that don't winterize and have nothing but issues.

In the end, I think it comes down to the condition the engine was in before winter set in..

Biggest worry I know of currently, is..... Was there any water in the engine or lower unit that could have frozen..
IF so, expect possible issues.

Again, I'm probably not totally correct with this, but in general, this is how I understand what might happen if not winterized.

Hope it helps, even if just a little.. :)

Last edited:

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
(EDIT: GA beat me to it while I was typing.. Odds are, you're good outside of the issues you already experienced... sigh...)

Hmmm...

Let me start by saying I'm not a pro with outboards.
Quite new actually, and learning as I go.
I too live in an area where I have to winterize, so from day 1 I tried to learn about it.

The following are some thoughts and is most likely not all inclusive.
Simply how I understand things at this time.. :D

I agree with roscoe in that the issue you had last year before you put it away is still there and will need to be dealt with.
No matter what, you'll have to start the season by troubleshooting and diagnosing that issue.

In regards to winterizing or not... It sounds like you're asking how much additional damage can you expect.
Is that right?

With that in mind:
When you put it away, was the engine tilted up (like when on trailer) or was it down as if on a lake?
Putting it down lets any water drain out of power-head through leg to exhaust etc.. . If left tilted up, any water that remained in the engine may have frozen and could have caused an issue.

Did you drain and refill gearcase?
If not, then IF there was any water in the gearcase, it too could have frozen and cracked the lower unit.

Other items would be possible gummed up carbs, but with the issues it already had, you may end up rebuilding them anyway, so maybe not so bad without winterizing..

I've seen some posts from folks who never winterize and don't have issues.
I've seen some that don't winterize and have nothing but issues.

In the end, I think it comes down to the condition the engine was in before winter set in..

Biggest worry I know of currently, is..... Was there any water in the engine or lower unit that could have frozen..
IF so, expect possible issues.

Again, I'm probably not totally correct with this, but in general, this is how I understand what might happen if not winterized.

Hope it helps, even if just a little.. :)

Well the last time i used it was in october, and it didnt get below freezing for quite some time after that. i am pretty sure i did store it in the upright position though.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Nothing to winterize.....

I throw stabil in the tank and back it into the pole barn for the winter

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What motor are we talkng to / about ??----Model # ?----One of the most important steps in winterizing is to make sure that there is no water in the gearcase.-----Cold will crack the casing.-----Cavity drain holes in the gearcase must be kept clear too.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If you have a problem with bad gas, Stabil will not help you solve it. StaBil is what you use BEFORE you have a problem so you don't have the problem in the first place. So now you have a problem with a bunch of stabil goo in too. If gas is not your root cause, then you need some troubleshooting.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I have literally never winterised an outboard. Nothing to winterise. If anything, run it till out of fuel and spray protective lubricant all over engine...even that’s overkill. Or if it’s been last ran in salt. Flush with fresh water.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Fogging an outboard, in fact any engine, that is to be laid up for an extended period is a wise Idea. Squirting oil into the spark plug holes does very little, all it does is coat the cylinder walls. The surfaces that need protecting are the bearings on the crank and con rods on the two strokes and the valve stems on the four strokes. Running the carb(s) instead of using a stabilizer, kind of makes it difficult to fog an engine, and with multiple carbs doesn't mean all go dry at the same time, so you still can end up with gum and varnish. And then you have to drain the tank and lines to keep them from getting plugged. But, when it's your engine you can do what you like

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Year old thread. Please read the forum rules regarding posting to threads more than 90 days old.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.