Motor recommendations

Qrzed

Seaman Apprentice
looking to replace my motor on 1974 starcraft16 foot ss. Due to local hp limits on a lot of water here in Pa. I'm looking at a 20 hp Yamaha. I know it may not get the boat up on plane but was going to change out the prop with a different pitch and go with stainless. I was hoping for some comments,suggestions on my thought being there are a lot of folks here far more knowledgeable on boating than I am. Thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
SS on just a 20 HP, why dump so much money when alum props will perform great, just have to prop it right along an induction tach. What's the boat lenght, type, how many boaters do you plan go boating with ?

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would buy an older 20hp for $100 and run it for about 20 years before buying a new motor.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
A 20 will not plane a 16SS, and stainless will certainly be a waste of $.

Maybe it's time to relocate to a boater friendly location.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I think it would make it plane running light...but always leave you wanting a bigger engine. Anymore weight on the boat will see disappointment too. Even when she does plane...man, the wee 20 will be working hard. Usually it’s better to have a bigger engine working less for best results. I haven’t looked, but it’s likely the 20hp you seek and it’s engine block is also at the bottom output rating of the base engine. I.e, the engine block in the 20 is likely to be the same as the 30, just with different carb jetting or exhaust/inlet